Bock not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdp11182

Reaction score
I just did my second brew (euro bock) and have no signs of fermentation. I still need to get proper hydrometer equipment but my oh seemed to be almost at 1100 (seems way too high?) should I pitch a new lager yeast? I just moved it to a higher temp (66f) and waiting a day or 2. It has been 3 days since
Thanks,
Tim

Hey welcome to the forums hope you are enjoying the new hobby so far.

If you are looking for a little help on your brew try and provide us with as much info as you can. Did you brew from a kit? All extract? Partial mash? All grain? How big is your batch? What was the recipe? How much yeast did you pitch and what kind of yeast? Did you make a starter?

Lagers require much more yeast than ales do. Especially bocks and other higher gravity lagers. I just started designing my first lager recipe which is going to be a traditional bock and for 5 gallons almost 600 billion cells are being called for. That's either 6 yeast packs or a very large starter. Since you mentioned this is only your 2nd brew and don't have a hydrometer how were you able to get your OG? Do you have a refractometer?

Also since you said this is your 2nd batch I'm also going to take a guess that you might not have a stir plate. Since buying 6 packets of yeast at 7$ a pop is not very cost effective you should make a starter with some dry malt extract (dme) and pitch your pkg of yeast in there for your next batch if you didn't do it for your first 2.

I see you just got on the forums so I'd recommend you searching and reading up on starters pitch rates and fermentation control and as many other topics as possible if you arent familiar and are looking to improve your skills.

I am very new myself and before I brewed anything at all I tried to learn as much as possible by reading and watching videos on technique and other topics. If you can provide that info you will be able to get much more help from the experienced people on the forums. Have an open mind and be happy to accept any info and advice you can get.

Cheers and good luck :mug:

Dave

Thanks Dave - will read up a little more. It was a bock kit, used a 5 gallon carboy rather than the 6 gallon bucket which was a mistake and def made my og higher. Do you think it is salvageable by adding more lager yeast? The kit included only one pack of lager yeast with no added info.

Lager yeast will require a starter. Was this a dry pack of yeast that shipped with the kit?
What temp are you fermenting at? A bock is a beer that requires temp control for fermentation and isn't really a starter beer. It will be beer, but probably not a bock when its done.

Yeah it was a dry pack.... I read up a lot before I started it and had it around 57f.... Nothing after 48 hours... Moved it up to 64f.... Nothing for 48 hrs... Then finally came home today and the things going crazy... Bringing it back down to about 60 to finish it. Next batch I def will do a starter so there is no delay.

Thanks for the info... Will let you know how it turns out!

Back