Bob Ross Sour(?) Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLeather

Reaction score
"There are no mistakes, only happy little accidents". I'm battling a recurring infection of something unknown/wild but not un-tasty. First appeared in an APA a ~3 months ago, reappeared in my Imperial Stout so I've named in Bob Ross. Originally 1.092 to 1.014 on US-05, now slowly bubbling away again. Smells ok, won't bother tasting til after Thanksgiving. Here's a shot of the pellicle, and another of my earlier "wild" ale which I'm glad I didn't dump...

IMG_20201028_194930021.jpg

IMG_20201028_210057379.jpg

Let it roll for a while but watch out with oxygen intake, if you have Brett in there you can turn the beer acetic, and too much acetic it's not a good idea

If when you taste it you want to keep the culture, throw some oak chips in there, once you bottle, let them dry and then store them in a airtight container, and you have an "infected barrel" to keep using that very same bugs over and over

That's way too much headspace for the project!
If you really want to give the good bugs the upper hand, reduce the amount of headspace, and thus the chances of it turning into a vinegar tainted drink.

Have any kegs? CO2? Smaller carboy?

That's way too much headspace for the project!
If you really want to give the good bugs the upper hand, reduce the amount of headspace, and thus the chances of it turning into a vinegar tainted drink.

Have any kegs? CO2? Smaller carboy?

Yeah, I was afraid I'd get called out for that. I was hoping that since it's actively (if slowly) fermenting again that I'd be ok with the excess head space? I do have a couple 5 gallon kegs I haven't gotten around to rebuilding/pressure testing yet if need be.

Or just put more beer in. Win/win.

You know, that's not a bad idea. I assume I'd have to repitch some US-05 if I added another batch? Would that kill off the wild bugs (I assume not)?

But just to be clear, the headspace is a bit much, so I would just make some wort, chill it and pour it carefully in, without creating much bubbles or disturbance to limit the extra oxygen ingress.

Good idea. I made the experience that roasted malts are very strange in a wild fermentation. If it is overly bitter/astringent, it won't age out.... I tried.

But just to be clear, the headspace is a bit much, so I would just make some wort, chill it and pour it carefully in, without creating much bubbles or disturbance to limit the extra oxygen ingress.
When I add wort or (diluted and pourable) syrups to a fermenting beer, I use a smallish funnel (4-6" diameter) with a piece of vinyl tubing firmly clamped to the spout. The tubing should reach an inch or so below the beer surface.
Then pour the wort or syrup into the funnel. Pour deliberately, in a smooth, swift motion, don't hesitate, don't interrupt, keeping the funnel at least half full, so air doesn't get sucked in with the liquid. No gurgling allowed until the very end when the funnel empties out. It does suck in some air, at the very beginning and at the very end, but alas...

Do a "dry run" with some water or Starsan. ;)

When I add wort or (diluted and pourable) syrups to a fermenting beer, I use a smallish funnel (4-6" diameter) with a piece of vinyl tubing firmly clamped to the spout. The tubing should reach an inch or so below the beer surface.
Then pour the wort or syrup into the funnel. Pour deliberately, in a smooth, swift motion, don't hesitate, don't interrupt, keeping the funnel at least half full, so air doesn't get sucked in with the liquid. No gurgling allowed until the very end when the funnel empties out. It does suck in some air, at the very beginning and at the very end, but alas...

Do a "dry run" with some water or Starsan. ;)
That sounds like a good idea!

Sorry to hear about your persisting infection. At least it's a tasty one!

Great minds must drink alike - when I got my first Immersion Chiller I was so excited to try it out (I can't remember what the occasion was. Birthday, Christmas, etc but I was already pretty buzzed when I opened it) that I threw together an impromptu Brown Ale brew day. I was full on drunk while heating my strike water and blackout by boil. The notes I took from my brew day were either written with a slur or in some dialect of ancient Chinese and all I could remember was that I screwed up every single imaginable boil addition, overshot volumes, adjusted boil lengths (and corresponding hop additions). Chilled it with my new toy, pitched, set it in the ferm chamber. I woke up the next day to an active airlock and one helluva hangover! That turned out to be by far my best brew at the time, and possibly to date! It saddens me knowing that I wont ever be able to make it again though, which it why it has forever been dubbed the Bob Ross Brown :)

Anyway, I didn't chime in to steal your thunder I just wanted to share that. And, after seeing your headspace and reading some of these responses it reminds me that I need to either pre-maturely package or top up a couple of my sours that have too much head space as well. Cheers!

Sorry to hear about your persisting infection. At least it's a tasty one!

Great minds must drink alike - when I got my first Immersion Chiller I was so excited to try it out (I can't remember what the occasion was. Birthday, Christmas, etc but I was already pretty buzzed when I opened it) that I threw together an impromptu Brown Ale brew day. I was full on drunk while heating my strike water and blackout by boil. The notes I took from my brew day were either written with a slur or in some dialect of ancient Chinese and all I could remember was that I screwed up every single imaginable boil addition, overshot volumes, adjusted boil lengths (and corresponding hop additions). Chilled it with my new toy, pitched, set it in the ferm chamber. I woke up the next day to an active airlock and one helluva hangover! That turned out to be by far my best brew at the time, and possibly to date! It saddens me knowing that I wont ever be able to make it again though, which it why it has forever been dubbed the Bob Ross Brown :)

Anyway, I didn't chime in to steal your thunder I just wanted to share that. And, after seeing your headspace and reading some of these responses it reminds me that I need to either pre-maturely package or top up a couple of my sours that have too much head space as well. Cheers!
It's pretty easy to redo, just wait for Christmas, buy yourself a new chiller and get wasted :D

You will see, it will come all up again!

It's pretty easy to redo, just wait for Christmas, buy yourself a new chiller and get wasted :D

You will see, it will come all up again!

Unfortunately (depending who you ask :D) I finally got my keezer rebuilt after a couple of months without it and have been Bob Rossin' the hell out of a lot of things since it started pouring beer again. For instance, I made a Bob Ross stir-fry last night. Bob Ross dog walks at 2am. Bob Ross garage cleaning, which only made a bigger mess. Late night Bob Ross phone calls with my brother, who I'm sure was also Rossin'.. My wife was less than amused when I Bobbed the stereo a bit too loud one night and woke her up when she had to be at work at 530am. So, I Rossed my happy ass up to the coffee shop/bakery to get her some caffeine and a sweet treat to minimize damage and make her morning a little happier.

I'll have to try my hand at the Bob Ross Brown again, though. This time I think I'm going to order myself either a new burner or kettle :)

Unfortunately (depending who you ask :D) I finally got my keezer rebuilt after a couple of months without it and have been Bob Rossin' the hell out of a lot of things since it started pouring beer again. For instance, I made a Bob Ross stir-fry last night. Bob Ross dog walks at 2am. Bob Ross garage cleaning, which only made a bigger mess. Late night Bob Ross phone calls with my brother, who I'm sure was also Rossin'.. My wife was less than amused when I Bobbed the stereo a bit too loud one night and woke her up when she had to be at work at 530am. So, I Rossed my happy ass up to the coffee shop/bakery to get her some caffeine and a sweet treat to minimize damage and make her morning a little happier.

I'll have to try my hand at the Bob Ross Brown again, though. This time I think I'm going to order myself either a new burner or kettle :)
:D
Made my day.

Happy Bob Rossing!

Impossible to say what impact that much headspace will have (good or bad). Also impossible to say what that top up would do (good or bad).

OP, I would let it ride as is. I think you’re safer with an unperturbed and fully fermented beer with some extra headspace than one topped up with unfermented wart and agitated.

Well, the LHBS didn't have all the stuff I would have needed for a top-off so I just left it go for a few more weeks. Last night I was brewing (and drinking) and I kicked my IPA keg in the kegerator and since I had some time to kill and some liquid motivation I decided to taste the stout and transfer it to that newly open keg. Strangely enough a gravity measurement showed essentially no further change since I racked it to the secondary. Taste was fine, still a bit green but no sour or oxidized flavors. It's now in a 5 gallon corny under a small amount of CO2 to promote a good seal. Couple more weeks and I'll crash it and carbonate for real and see how the final taste is.

Well, the LHBS didn't have all the stuff I would have needed for a top-off so I just left it go for a few more weeks. Last night I was brewing (and drinking) and I kicked my IPA keg in the kegerator and since I had some time to kill and some liquid motivation I decided to taste the stout and transfer it to that newly open keg. Strangely enough a gravity measurement showed essentially no further change since I racked it to the secondary. Taste was fine, still a bit green but no sour or oxidized flavors. It's now in a 5 gallon corny under a small amount of CO2 to promote a good seal. Couple more weeks and I'll crash it and carbonate for real and see how the final taste is.
It doesn't have to be sour, if let's say, you only have brett, it will never go sour as long as it's not exposes to oxygen, and it would take a couple months to show activity, although it should start dropping SG soon if it's brett

Back