BNC Ph electrode suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin_J

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just dug a Markson 88 ph meter out of storage that I bought from our university surplus store back when I was in school. It doesn't have a probe, but has a BNC connection. Does anybody have suggestions on a decent probe? They seem to range from $10 - $300+, come in different types of construction, etc., so any general suggestions folks could provide on what to look for for brewing purposes would be wonderful.

Thank you!

You are in luck. The BNC connector makes a wide range of probes available to you. You don't need to spend a bundle on a probe since they all eventually fail. I have found that 'gel-filled' probes seem to last a decent amount of time. There is a more in-depth discussion of pH meters and probes on the Bru'n Water Facebook page.

The SE220 is the probe I use. The price is good and it seems to hold up relatively well. I do keep my probe bathed in a 3M KCl storage solution when not in use.

Remember, no matter what a probe manufacturer tells you...if you insert a probe into 120F + wort, it will shorten its life. Cool all wort to room-temp before inserting probe. There are pH probes that are rated for 180F or more, but they are to be inserted and KEPT at that temperature for the duration of their life in a industrial setting. Don't be fooled by those claims and expect them to work in our hot-cold-hot-cold...usage.

The issue here is stress on the delicate glass sense membrane. Subject it to rapid heating and cooling and you will shorten its life. Subject it to gradual heating and cooling and you should be fine. Will it last as long as if you always keep it at room temperature? As no stress is even better than a little stress probably not. Also how would one practically warm an electrode to kettle temperature gradually?

Back