BMB Depth Charge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried one of these?

https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/big-mouth-bubbler/products/big-mouth-bubbler-depth-charge

Kind of spendy but looks useful if you do a lot of dry hopping.

Wondering how much trub it would catch when pouring wort thru it.​

You'd catch a pretty good amount, and anything that coated the screen would make it less effective for hops.

I'd pour in the wort before adding the lid/screen.

A buddy and I were well on our way toward inventing something like this (we both have BMBs, wanted a way to add hops without opening up the fermenter), then we say NB had done it. We lost interest, but had looked into attaching a hop screen to the bottom of a BMB lid, then adding a second port through which we could add CO2 while adding dry hops so as to push as much O2 out as we could.

Never happened.

I use my screen from my BMB to vorlauf and as a hop basket in the boil. Some hops do manage its way into the wort but not nearly as much using other hop bags.

Screening trub is usually futile, the screen would plug pretty quickly ime and would be more hassle than benefit...

Makes sense, I know the screen in my large funnel would clog up fast so I stopped using that.

I use my screen from my BMB to vorlauf and as a hop basket in the boil. Some hops do manage its way into the wort but not nearly as much using other hop bags.

I like that idea!

How do you attach it to the kettle, with a spring clamp

Yes, I used a clamp to attach to side of kettle, I use an old keg as my kettle.

Back