blueberry wheat question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoak

Reaction score
Hi, first post, I've been lurking for months and have learned a lot! you guys are great resource. Now on to my question.

I bottled my blueberry wheat 2 weeks ago. It tasted great at bottling, just a hint of blueberry that was not overpowering, very similar to others I have tried.

I added 8oz of corn sugar to the batch at bottling time. I was worried that I added too much and may end up with bottlebombs. I've been watching it closely and today opened a sample to see how things were going. the first one was warm, (basement temp. is a constant 68 degrees). It foamed out, about half the bottle. but i think I may have shook it up coming up the stairs and opened to quickly. I threw another in the fridge and opened in about 4 hours later. no foam over, carbonation was just right.

The problem is that it tastes pretty much like regular wheat beer, doesn't have that hint of blue berry that it did at bottling.

So my questions are:

-will the blueberry be more apparent if I wait another two weeks before chilling and serving the batch?

-will the carbonation continue to build and should I chill the batch now to stop it, since it's at a good level?

- should I open, add some artificial blueberry flavor (per bottle) and recap, then wait a couple more weeks?

thanks in advance.

It’s always a bad idea to uncap bottles. Just drink it like a wheat beer and add more blueberries next time. If you want to add more blueberry flavor add it at serving.

I've found with all my fruit beers that I've made over the years, the longer you let it sit in the bottle/keg, the more the fruit flavor disappears. Blueberries, being a fruit with a subtle flavor in the first place, will dissipate rather quickly. I agree with King regarding adding more blueberry flavor; probably your best bet.

I have done2 batches of blueberry wheat and have been quite happy with the blueberry flavor. How much and what kind of flavoring did you use? I use a total of 6lbs of frozen blueberries...3 in fermenter (boiled 1# in wort) and then 3#'s in secondary...comes out very well balanced.

Back