Blueberry + raspberry beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teddyjackson

Reaction score
Ok,
So I spent the day picking blueberries and raspberry's, realizing maybe It would be a good idea to make a beer. Tomorrow I plan on picking up some ingredients for the next batch. I just want to know, can and should I freeze them? Do I have to mash them and add it after the boil? Or, could I add both into the fermenter? I'm still a noob here! Oh, I was considering a possible ale too, might also do a mead instead me and my friend will figure out later.

You certainly could freeze them, the ice crystals that form will break the cell walls so you won't have to manually. I think sour beers work the best with fruit, the acidity really helps to make the fruit taste like fruit (which is always a bit tart). If you wanted to spend the time you could start a Flanders Red or Lambic and add the fruit in 6-9 months, but if you don't want to spend that sort of time you could do a beer soured pre-boil (sour mash or sour wort).

Whatever you do I'd go with more blueberries than raspberries since the raspberries are a more assertive flavor.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Brew up a 10 gallon batch of American Wheat. Let it ferment, then rack 5 gallons on top of the raspberries and 5 gallons on top of the blueberries in secondary.

:mug:

Ditto on splitting the batch. Blueberry and raspberry are delicate flavors that should be enjoyed separately.

Ditto on splitting the batch. Blueberry and raspberry are delicate flavors that should be enjoyed separately.

agreed. i'd probably go with razz wheat and blueberry ale. just finished all my blueberry 'vienna' ale and it was delicious. also just tried a razzberry hefe that was pretty good. :mug:

For what it's worth, I was in your shoes last month. I was advised to use a blueberry extract, but didn't listen. I had fruit!! I brewed a Blueberry ale 2 1/2 weeks ago, and have been posting my progress. I bottled last night.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/blueberry-ale-184329/

with real blueberries, you get a nice subtle flavor and awsome color. i haven't used extract, but i'm told you can end up with a real cough medicine tasting brew- no thank you!

Back