Blue Moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKBrew

Reaction score
Tried it for the first time yesterday. Definately not a bad wheat beer, but I really haven't found one I haven't liked yet. About the blandest one I found was Pyramid Hefe, but I liked it too.

Can definately pick out the orange in Blue Moon.

Ize said:
Did they put fruit in it? I hate when they put fruit in my beer. :drunk:

Ize

It's actually a Belgian Wit style beer, so they use coriander and orange peel rather than orange pulp. A true Wit will use bitter orange peel. I think they use a sweeter variety in Blue Moon. Try a Blue Moon side by side with Hoegaarden and they are night and day. While I generaly like Blue Moon, I'll take Hoegaargen any day.

erbiumyag said:
It's actually a Belgian Wit style beer, so they use coriander and orange peel rather than orange pulp. A true Wit will use bitter orange peel. I think they use a sweeter variety in Blue Moon. Try a Blue Moon side by side with Hoegaarden and they are night and day. While I generaly like Blue Moon, I'll take Hoegaargen any day.

After trying Blue Moon for the first time a few weeks ago I am absolutley hooked! Around here just about every bar/resturant has it on tap. I tried Hoegaarden about 2 weeks ago and thought it was pretty good. I seem to like the Blue Moon much better though - it seems to have more flavor.

Haven't tried the Hoegaarden (haven't even seen it locally), but I'll add it to my list of things to try.

Wheat beers are definately one of my favorite styles.

Ize said:
Did they put fruit in it? I hate when they put fruit in my beer. :drunk:

Ize
I think he meant did they put fruit in it when it was served to you. The first time I had blue moon, they put a big orange slice in it. The orange overpowered the subtle flavors of the orange and corrieander in the beer. Now, any time I get a wheat beer I always tell the server no lemon, or orange in this case.

I have tried to like Blue Moon but it just doesn't do it for me. I think it is that full-mouth feeling at the beginning and the orange flavor that turns me off to it. I have beer friends that love it and just about buy it exclusively.

My friends and I used to put back a HELL of a lot of hoegarten in the summer at our bar. It's light and citrusy, and is damned refreshing when it's 98 degrees at night. ahh summer...it seems so long ago...

mike

Brewsmith said:
I think he meant did they put fruit in it when it was served to you. The first time I had blue moon, they put a big orange slice in it. The orange overpowered the subtle flavors of the orange and corrieander in the beer. Now, any time I get a wheat beer I always tell the server no lemon, or orange in this case.

Exactly. :rockin: The place I usually get one always has it on tap and on special. I tell em' to keep the orange slice. Most of the bartenders understand my pain and are happy to oblige.

Ize

Back