Blue Corn Malt in recipe (hazy double IPA recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exiledbrews

Reaction score
Looking at making my first hazy double IPA west coast style based on some similar recipes but wanted to incorporate blue corn malt. Has anyone tried this before? I plan to BIAB and keg.

here's my recipe that i will be using. Anyone have any suggestions? I do plan to add other enzymes

1619668491218.png

I have not made this style, but my experience is with all grain, candy syrup and maltodextrin are not necessary and possibly unwanted. The grain speaks for itself. The total grain bill is strongly dependent on your mash/enzyme strategy. Will you use a falling mash with Termamyl or rising mash with Ondea Pro and possibly Ceremix Flex? Is this for a 5 gallon batch?

Hey Chris,

I plan to use the rest of my SEBAmyl BAL 100 Endo-Alpha Amylase and SEBAmyl L Endo-Alpha Amylase Enzyme to break down the chains. Target batch is 5 gal for the corny keg.

Ya, i was a bit unsure if i needed the candi syrup or not, most likely i will omit that from the recipe. Do you think i will have a high enough conversion rate if i use 20ML of each enzyme? And is it your experience that Maltodextrin is not good for head retention or do you think the flaked quinoa will do the job?

Not sure if you saw but im using sorghum extract too, so its more of a partial mash.

Ah, no I did not see that you had sorghum extract. I would hold most if not all the sorghum extract and candy syrup for the end to just dial in to hit your desired OG. Then it does not matter what conversion you get from your grain. If you are using sorghum extract, then I agree a little maltodextrin helps to compensate for the sorghum gravity points finishing a little thin.

Appreciate the tips Chris, this is all a bit new to me so still learning a bit.

my last GF batch was a stout, it was a bit watery and the head retention was not great, i used a 90% grain bill and the grains did stand out, but it was a bit nutty. Looking for a different recipe and the corn seems like it would add a nice creaminess to the flavor profile.

Would you add the sorghum and candi syrup at flame out? or do it 10 minutes before flame out?

I don't think it matters as long as it pasteurizes before you begin chilling down to pitching temp. Most do it after flameout so that you reduce the risk of the heavy syrup getting to the bottom and scorching. Important part is you get the OG you want.
Are you able to do a full volume boil and have a refractiometer for quick and easy gravity readings?

Back