Blowoff tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
This is my first experience with a fermentation that is actually starting to foam up through the air lock!

Anyhow, what size of tube do you use for a 23L - 6gal carboy?

Take a piece of siphon tubing. Stick it through the stopper that your airlock currently resides in. Stick the other end into a tub/bottle/etc filled with water.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show.

just recently did a Hop Slam clone with 8 packs of 4 different hops. Went to the plumbing store and bought a 1 1/2" no hub, 1 1/2" x 3/4" reducer, couple of 90's and a lenght of 3/4" pvc. no hub clamps on top of Primary, come off into a 90, then 8" pipe to another 90, then into a pot of water. I've had no problems with clogging and blow off. Works really good.

bottled,
Imperial Stout
Genious Stout
Cherry Wheat (for wife)
Hop Scram

Secondary
Cherry Wheat (for wife)
Raspberry Honey Wheat (for wife)

I just brewer my second batch Saturday, it was blowing bubbles like crazy Sunday morning. Yesterday afternoon I checked it out and the fermenter (plastic Bucket) is bulging and I had a lot of gunk in the blow off tube and the water it goes to is now very cloudy. Should I take the tube off and clean it or just leave it alone. Also can I change the water in the bottle? thanks, Jack

Uhhh, yeah take that tube out SLOWLY! I'd be willing to bet that the tube clogged and you've got a lot of pressure building up there. Clean, re-sanitize and re-insert.

Oh, and you can change the water too if you want.

I use 3ft of 7/8 reinforced hose inserted into a 2" piece of 1" soft vinyl hose to make it tight.
5 and 6 gal carboys have a 1" opening,, I found that soft non reinforced hose can fold over making a blockage..
you wont plug a 7/8 ID hose ever

Latest posts

Back