Blowoff tube exit container height?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Been brewing for awhile, but now that I'm on the forum, might as well as a dumb question that I've never known the answer for:

When using a blowoff tube, does it matter where you locate your exit container of solution? (ie: height)

I would think not, since it is just an escape hatch for the gas and potential krausen foam. My distance is limited to tubing length. I just saw a great rigid-tubing picture with 'plumbing elbows' on the brew wiki. Up, over, down. Excellent! Space saver.

Figured it was worth asking, though.

:mug:

no, because the pressure rise in the tube can compensate for location. youre not gravity draining. but you do have to be careful about how you wrap your tube because you can have it get stuck and defeat the purpose of the blowoff assembly.

The location of the container should be below the surface of the beer. I use the PVC pipe blowoff and it works great. My version.

AmericanRedAle2.jpg

I've had it happen a couple of times where the beer starts getting really excited (read: cleaning krausen off a popcorn ceiling sucks) and I usually don't use a blowoff tube, just the airlock. In these cases I was able to run my siphon hose into the grommet on the lid the airlock fits in, and run the siphon hose into one of the buckets that LME comes in. I used a mixture of one-step and water and filled up enough water to cover the what was left of the hose running into the small bucket (a couple of coils). Worked like a champ, and was done on the fly with stuff I already had.

well, yes it has to be below the bung of the fermenter otherwise you might siphon the sanitized solution back into the fermenter once blowoff has stopped. i guess i assumed the was common sense. cheers!

I've had it happen a couple of times where the beer starts getting really excited (read: cleaning krausen off a popcorn ceiling sucks) and I usually don't use a blowoff tube, just the airlock. In these cases I was able to run my siphon hose into the grommet on the lid the airlock fits in, and run the siphon hose into one of the buckets that LME comes in. I used a mixture of one-step and water and filled up enough water to cover the what was left of the hose running into the small bucket (a couple of coils). Worked like a champ, and was done on the fly with stuff I already had.

That's what I do...:rockin:

blowoff.jpg

:ban:

Back