PVC tube/shell chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi HBT peeps. I have learned so much from the community I thought it high time to give back a little bit. When I started brewing about a year ago, the first thing I felt I was lacking was a legit chiller to cool my wort. I was putting my pot in a large bucket of ice water, which was so... so... I dunno... ice age. I built this about 9 months ago, so I'm a little slow to get it posted, but better late than never I suppose.

I had considered building the standard tube-in-a-hose counterflow chiller. I wanted a more vertical based design that would work well under gravity (as I had no pumps) and drain easily afterward. I thought the standard aforementioned chiller was too big around and would be too flat to drain effectively. So I envisioned an idea for a different kind of chiller. The key was tube surface area, so I thought about doing it with a more tightly wound copper coil that would have more turns to maintain the length of the tubing at ~20 ft. The coil would be flushed by water passing around it, and rather than have an outer tube, I would build a channel for the coil to be contained in and water to flow through. That water would be channeled by an inner blocking tube and an outer housing tube. The coil diameter needed to be small enough to bend, not kink, and still allow for good flow.

So I did what every self respecting DIY homebrewer does... went to Home Depot to see what I could put together. As it turns out, HD didn't have the stuff I needed, but Lowes did.

Now, let me give credit where it is rightly due... a few months after I built my chillers, I learned that John Palmer had long since proposed it (hybrid design), and so in fairness I can only take credit for creating what a great one had already created... which I can happily live with! The link is in the "bible", How to Brew. To date however, I have never seen anyone post pictures on this design, but I am sure they are out there.

First task was to wrap the copper coil around the inner PVC tube. I just did this by gently winding it around by hand:
IMG_2055.jpg

Next was to solder up elbows and reducers:
IMG_2052.jpg

I sealed off the inner tube with a plastic test cap to make it a blocking tube:
IMG_2056.jpg

I sealed it by silicone gluing it down and nibbling off the overhang. Not shown is the small hole I drilled in each end cap to allow for pressure equalization but not any significant water flow:
IMG_2057.jpg

I soldered one elbow extension on one end, then inserted the inner blocking tube:
IMG_2059.jpg

Capped one end and pressure tested it:
IMG_2061.jpg

Fit the assembly in the outer tube:
IMG_2067.jpg

Made the end caps but drilling holes and mounting fittings. The flush fitting is a female hose x 3/4" male NPT. The bulkhead is a rubber ferrule waterproof strain relief with 3/4" NPT. These are held down by 3/4" jam nuts then siliconed all over to seal them well:
IMG_2064.jpg

Then glued the end caps on with PVC glue (this is a one-time deal!):IMG_2068.jpg

I will spare you the test pictures, but this worked very well in my initial boiled water test, so I proceeded to build a second, smaller one. Because I live in South Florida, my ground water never gets cold enough to chill to pitching temp, so the first chiller cools from boiling to ~85, and the second uses ice water to chill from that temp to 55-65 degrees, depending on flow rate (its fed by a fountain pump in a bucket of ice/water).

Here is my initial use, where I mounted the chillers to a ladder (needed the height). I put my pot of boiling wort on top, then opened the valve and got excellent results, taking about 8 minutes to cool ~5.5 gallons to 70 degrees in full flow:
IMG_2340.jpg

I continue to use this setup on my pump driven rig, and they have been performing very well. It is not very water efficient, but then again I have not done much testing throttling the water input down. We have no droughts in FL, so I don't have much guilt.

The materials list is: 20' 3/8" soft copper tube, 3" PVC sewer pipe, 4" PVC pipe, 1/2" straight copper tube, 2x 1/2" elbows, 2x 3/8" elbows, 2x 1/2x3/8 OD copper reducers, 4" PVC end caps (must be square, not rounded), 2x 3/4" FGH x 3/4" MNPT fittings, 2x 3/4" x 1/2" strain reliefs, 4x toothed jam nuts (electric conduit), clear silicone, PVC primer & glue, plumbing flux & solder.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-BD

I like this. The coils are nicely done its a shame to hide them in the pipe.

Nice Brundog! I remember coming across these some time back and just saw the photos of them and at first thought that they must have been DIY water filters of some sort. While reading your build I must have got side tracked once I got to your flow meter setup and never read far enough to realize these were diy chillers. I am looking at either whole house or a water filter for the brewery and remember these things. After some digging I obviously found which build they were hiding in and although I am not looking to build a chiller, this is an awesome idea. :Brew on:

Thanks. They work amazingly well though wort flow through them is not as fast as through larger tubing of off the shelf CFC's. Still with a pump the flow is faster than they can cool.

Current experience tells me I can chill 5.5 gallons from boiling to 55 degrees in about 5-6 minutes. If my groundwater was not 80+ degrees they would do even better. I might test just the small one someday with boiling water to see how it does compared to its bigger brother.

Wow that's pretty quick chill! Seems you would not waste much water in 5-6 min.

Yeah the 80+ tap water definitely makes it harder. I'm in Texas and regularly have tap above the 80 mark.

Nice! How much did this cost? Does the water flow against the grain of the gravity flow?

I'm building an eBiab setup in a large pot and don't think my current immersion chillers will work because the pot is so much wider, but I don't want my copper tubing to go to waste.

Not sure I added it up accurately... but would say in the neighborhood of $85? The copper and fittings are the most of course. I would not pursue these just for cost - the labor would not be worth it as you could get CFC's off the shelf for a few bucks more.

I currently have them flowing wort top to bottom. This is how they were set up initially given they were gravity fed. Now that the are fed by a pump, this is actually backwards - they should flow bottom to top. But that would require reconfiguring because the bigger chiller would need to go underneath the smaller chiller. Anyway, since the wort goes top to bottom the water goes in at the bottom and out the top.

Cool idea, and nice build... but the picture with the kettle full of boiling wort balanced on top of a ladder seems a little sketchy to me. :eek:

Thanks for sharing!

How high do you need your kettle to be to gravity feed something like this? I'm building a laundry room brewery now and I'm not sure I can go too high and still have room to lift the bag out (BIAB).

Well, one design difference I would say is that it is longer than a DIY tube-in-hose CFC chiller. I wanted it to be able to drain itself, so having it more vertical was needed. That said, you could run it horizontal and gravity would push liquid out, then turn it vertical to drain the last bit of wort and/or clean it.

Not sure I added it up accurately... but would say in the neighborhood of $85? The copper and fittings are the most of course. I would not pursue these just for cost - the labor would not be worth it as you could get CFC's off the shelf for a few bucks more.

I currently have them flowing wort top to bottom. This is how they were set up initially given they were gravity fed. Now that the are fed by a pump, this is actually backwards - they should flow bottom to top. But that would require reconfiguring because the bigger chiller would need to go underneath the smaller chiller. Anyway, since the wort goes top to bottom the water goes in at the bottom and out the top.

If you bought you couldn't say you built it :)

I have built something similar to yours but I used short lengths of copper pipe I had and went back and forth with two elbows making a U joint. Total of six lengths in a four inch black abs pipe. I live in Canada and the Tap water is around 40 F so the cooling is efficient. I pump my wort through and back into the tank. Cooling is way more efficient than the old wort cooler. I take it from the bottom and put it back at the top. When it is cool I close one valve and open another an it pumps the wort into the fermentor. All done Zippidy Do Da.

I have built something similar to yours but I used short lengths of copper pipe I had and went back and forth with two elbows making a U joint. Total of six lengths in a four inch black abs pipe. I live in Canada and the Tap water is around 40 F so the cooling is efficient. I pump my wort through and back into the tank. Cooling is way more efficient than the old wort cooler. I take it from the bottom and put it back at the top. When it is cool I close one valve and open another an it pumps the wort into the fermentor. All done Zippidy Do Da.

Pics? :D

Latest posts

Back