Blowoff question

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

dlwheeler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had to use a blowoff tube for a double IPA I'm brewing, and have now racked it to a secondary fermenter. I checked it with a hydrometer, and it's at about 5% abv. I'm thinking it should be higher. Since I had big overflow (Had to clean the ceiling), is it possible that I lost yeast? Should I add yeast to the secondary?

acuenca

Reaction score
We need to know:

1) what OG you started at
2) what FG you're at now
3) How long has it been fermenting
4) Potentially your recipe

Dogphish

Reaction score
you should leave all beers in primary for a full 4 weeks so that they yeast can finish and settle out of the beer.

you should not add yeast to secondary, you should just leave in primary longer.

if the hydrometer reading has stopped changing for 3 days straight, then adding more of the same yeast will do nothing. if the hydrometer reading has not stayed constant for 3 days, then you racked to secondary too soon.

SilverZero

Reaction score
you should leave all beers in primary for a full 4 weeks so that they yeast can finish and settle out of the beer.

you should not add yeast to secondary, you should just leave in primary longer.

if the hydrometer reading has stopped changing for 3 days straight, then adding more of the same yeast will do nothing. if the hydrometer reading has not stayed constant for 3 days, then you racked to secondary too soon.
I know at least one moderator here who would disagree with the 4-weeks figure, but it certainly doesn't hurt. I'm thinking this was racked way too soon. If your recipe really is a DIPA, 5% is about half of what you're looking for (maybe a bit more).

A single hydrometer reading doesn't tell you much about whether the yeast are done, that comes from observing several days in a row and looking for no change. We really do need to know all the details. The blow-off could have played a part, but without knowing times, gravity measurements, etc. there's no good way to tell.

ozzy1038

Reaction score
No matter what, you should have measured the gravity over a 3 day period before you secondary. Not that it's needed. What was your OG and what is it now? What did your recipe say/estimate ABV? More info is needed for an accurate assessment.

trigger

Reaction score
For a truly accurate diagnosis a picture of the ceiling before cleanup is needed.

Just kidding, but really, picture next time.

And it sounds like you racked too soon, but given time and the fact that it sounds like you were somewhere around half attenuated you probably carried over enough yeast to be fine.