Blown Primary Lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreCowbell

Reaction score
Just curious if any one has ever had a beer spoil due to a fermentation lock blowing off a carboy. I'm pretty sure it was probably off for around 8-10 hours. If this did have any ill effects on the beer what should I expect from the finished product.

BTW-next time I pitch from a starter I will be using a blow off hose and have plenty of duct tape handy :)

Could get infected or some foreign object could get in. Very likely there will be no effect. Your beer is offgassing CO2, which will protect it from crap that can get in. Also, it has some alcohol which tends to ward off crap and your yeast has taken hold, so they are probably going to be the dominant microorganism in the brew. Worst case, you got wild yeast, but this is relatively unlikely at that point. The offgassing CO2 gives your bucket positive pressure - gas is always flowing out, so it is hard for stuff to get in.

I don't think anything terrible would have happened as mentioned above there is alot of off gassing occuring at this time. I have had a few airlocks blow off for a few hours and I have never had any negative effects.

I would rather have my airlock come out easy than duct tape it in place and risk the explosive blowoff you will get. But i use a blowoff tube the first week just to be safe.
By the way, there have been many open fermentation experiments that made great beer. Look it up on brewing tv.

Back