Blow over is my caribou slobber still okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan1413

Reaction score
So I started my very first home brew about 5 days ago and didn’t check on it until now realizing that there was a blow over. I don’t know when it happened but when I found it the carboy bung was laying on the floor, I have since put a siphon tube going into a bucket but the mead seems to be stagnant and there is no layer on top of it. Just wondering if this is salvageable or if I should scrap it and start over?

It should be fine. If you decide to put an airlock back on, just remember to sanitize it. After five days most of the fermentation should be done anyway, so I wouldn't worry about the lack of activity. You probably don't need a blow off tube at this point.

When I brewed CS a few years ago the same thing happened to me. My wife and kids found it after a few hours but the beer still turned out pretty good.

It'll be fine, I've blown a lid completely off a black IPA I pitched on a cake one time. I left it for 2 days lid off until i covered it back up with a clean lid and air lock. It turned into a great beer.

Back