Blow off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgalvin

Reaction score
So I did two gallon batch of ipa and put it in an old mr beer fermenter to see of I could use it foor small test batches to try diffedeng things.

The top blew off in less than twelve hours. eighteen hours later it is still oozing.

My questions are.

Is this because I used the same amount of yeast as a 5 gallon batch.

And can I salvage it. I lost a lot of volume plus it has been open all night.

ForumRunner_20131018_073157.png

I would say yes and no. Yes the problem is that you didn't scale the yeast to the size of the batch. In the event that you don't know how, it's just simple math... if you end up with an odd amount (1.11 oz) just round up to the nearest .25 oz. That's what I do and I haven't had an issue.

As far as salvaging it, I would dump it and start over. I have never used the Mr. Beer equipment, but I've seen more articles and forum posts about them not being 100% airtight than not. Being that the beer has forced its way out of the fermenter it has created more ways for air to enter and if air can enter so can germs.

If it were me I would scale the recipe and start all over. Good luck!

The fact that it is still oozing out means things are not likely getting in. If you don't want to waste, and considering how small a batch it is, may as well try to sanitarily clean it up and let it ride. Worse case you were going to dump it anyway.

Back