Blow-off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borge43

Reaction score
Hi,
I never used a blow-off tube and I have a concern.
When krausen comes off the carboy through the blow-off tube and goes into the receiving container, must I worry about potential contamination if the blow-off tube is immersed in a sanitizing solution? I am actually using a One-step solution for sanitizing. It works well, but how long does it stay effective? What I mean is that if there is a bit or a lot of krausen in the receiving container's sanitizing solution, is there a risk of contamination? Should I replace the sanitizing solution once in a while?
Thanks in advance for your answers

That is very normal. That one step is a SANITIZER not cleaner right?
I have left the blow off setup for a few months with zero issues.

I have had the foam actually fill the container and over flow, luckly into a large bowl I left it sitting in. I have done this many time with sanitizer solution and never had any off flavors when completed. hope that will lower your anxiety with using the blowoff.

If you are getting "blow off" into your tube then the tube is getting dirty but not infected. But once the blow off is done I'd advise replacing it w/an air lock and CLEAN THE TUBE BEFORE THAT "STUFF" DRIES or you ain't never gonna get it clean again.

Don't worry about. Put some starsan in the receiving container and make sure your tube is sanitized. It is nothing more than an airlock and easier to clean.

image.jpg

You just have to keep a loose eye on the blow off to see when it stops all the vigorous bubbling. A partial vacuum can be created that could suck the blow off fluid back into the fermenter. You should install a clean/sanitized airlock before it does this. I use a keg line cleaning brush of 3/8" diameter to clean the inside of my tubing. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/cleaning/brushes/NHCB38.html

Latest posts

Back