Blow-off tube in buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubberband

Reaction score
I see pictures of glass carboys with a blow-off installed and I can easily understand how this works. My question is with an Ale Pail, how do you put a blow-off tube in one of these?:confused:

I have read a few threads and it is mentioned that they are using a Pail and a blow-off tube. I just have a hard time getting my head around this concept given that my bucket has a tiny grommet and it would take something like a 1/4" line to fit into this hole but I don't know that it would seal real well and I question what kind of volume I could get out of it anyway. Any pictures would really be appreciated, I am a visual learner.

I just brewed a Hefe and the fermentation was pretty lively. I had to clean and sanitize my air-lock twice due to foam entering before it finally died down. I like the concept of a blow-off but I don't want to go with glass yet as I am not really set with my process.

I have seem people that use a 3 piece airlock but without the floating part or cap and just put a hose right onto the stem inside the airlock. That might be yourbest bet.

I have seem people that use a 3 piece airlock but without the floating part or cap and just put a hose right onto the stem inside the airlock. That might be yourbest bet.

That is the way to do it. You probably won't need to use a blow off tube for the majority of your brews. If you get a batch that has an extremely active ferment and begins to foam back through the airlock, then you can disassemble the airlock and attach the hose. On the rare occasion I have needed one, I have left it in until the kraeusen subsided. Then I reassembled the airlock and continued as usual.

The vinyl tubing that came with my kit fits perfectly in the grommit. Actually, you have to work pretty hard to get it in there, but that makes me feel good that it's making a good seal. I've been considering cutting the edge of the tubing on an angle to make a point of sorts to make it easier to get the tubing in there.

Thank you, each person who answered my original post. The link to Revvy's pictures was perfect and it seems so obvious.

I am continuously amazed by some of the ideas that I find in this forum. I am an engineer by education. I work in manufacturing where I design, troubleshoot, improve machines, processes and products. I pride myself in being reasonably ingenious and very common sense. I have to step aside and take a back seat to home brewers. You guys are the true engineers finding the simple solutions in the chase for making the perfect beer. I should have figured out the solution, I use a three piece air lock, but I was caught up in the panic of trying to keep my beer from being contaminated and missed the obvious.:drunk:

attach it directly to the center post of your airlock

The problem with this mechanism and a good blow off is the constriction point in the cross in the air lock opening. This cross can still easily become plugged. A better solution that presents less restriction to the krusen movement is to push the tubing directly into the grommet. This should handle most blow off cases though a few people have managed to have ferments vigorous to plug even this. The large tubes used with carboys are even better.

Another solution is ferm-cap or foam control. Add a couple drops during the boil and boil overs and blow offs are much less likely.

Craig

The problem with this mechanism and a good blow off is the constriction point in the cross in the air lock opening. This cross can still easily become plugged. A better solution that presents less restriction to the krusen movement is to push the tubing directly into the grommet. This should handle most blow off cases though a few people have managed to have ferments vigorous to plug even this. The large tubes used with carboys are even better.

Another solution is ferm-cap or foam control. Add a couple drops during the boil and boil overs and blow offs are much less likely.

Craig

Not if you do what a lot of us do and saw the the crosses of the airlocks as soon as we get them...:D

+1 on cutting the cross off of the air lock.

I saw that advice in a thread on this site and immediately cut the cross off of the air lock. I am convinced that this kept my air lock from plugging and I was able to empty the thing and clean it.

As for pushing a hose into the grommet, I may give this a try as well. I will do it the next time I set up to ferment from the beginning. I also see that it is possible to push the grommet into the bucket and I am absolutely certain this would happen to me if I tried it on the fly. I don't want to be SOL and posting a thread "should I dump my beer?"

+
[snip] I don't want to be SOL and posting a thread "should I dump my beer?"

Don't bother. The answer's almost certainly "No." :mug:

But of course you're always welcome to drive your batch to Ann Arbor, and I'll dispose of it for ya. ;)

thats how I do it. Just dont use the cap or center piece. I found a hose that fit snuggly over the center post inside the airlock.

Like this..

Ailockbo1.jpg

Back