blow off or air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenheimer

Reaction score
Are there any good reasons to use an airlock rather than a blow off during primary? If i use an blow off don't I just put a hose into my drilled stopped (that the airlock would normally go in) and put it in some water, or are there any other steps? Does it matter if the water is above or below the plane of the fermenter?

Nope thats it. Doesnt matter the level of the water as long as its sitting on the bottom of it. Vodka would be better than water but water will work. Boil the water and let it cool before using it.

I'd always recommend starting with a blow-off tube. It will prevent cleaning up a mess in the end. You can rig a blow-off tube in a number of ways. 1) Use a large diameter tube and stuff it in the neck of a carboy and feed to a bucket of sanitizer sitting on the ground next to the fermenter, 2) connect a smaller diameter tube to the center post on a three piece airlock, etc...

Sticking it through a stopper is not a good option as the small diameter hose will not be effective and will end up clogging.

Personally, I use a blow off that is wide enough to fit in the mouth of the carboy (let the jokes begin). Less of a chance of anything getting clogged. Hopefully that is clear in this picture:

13719-CCAFerment001.jpg

I think he is using a bucket, like I do. I stick 3/8 i.d. tubing in the grommet and then into a half filled beer bottle. i never get clogged with 3/8 tubing. I start with a blow off hose every time and switch to an airlock when I start the next batch.

Thats correct my primary is a bucket. So if I understand correctly I can use the tubing that attaches to my racking cane and just connect that to the center post on the 3 piece airlock. Wouldn't it be more likely to clog that way than just taking the syphon tubing directly out of the stopper?

TexLaw said:
Frankly, I like using Fermcap-S (a.k.a., "foam control"). That way, I don't have to mess around with a blowoff tube or any mess at all.
TL

So do I, but if you every pour on a yeast cake, don't count on Fermacap to save you.

Do you all use blow off tubes after a certain O.G. has been reached? I've only needed a blow off tube once and that was with a beer that had an OG of 1.101. I currently have an APA that started at 1.071, its been about 36 hours. The airlock is bubbling nonstop. I just hope I don't come home to a mess. I've done lots of beers in this gravity range with no messes but I guess a big thing depends on the yeast as well.

Considering the rate of bubbling of my last batch of brew, I'm glad I started with a blowoff tube. I just took my #10 carboy stopper to the hardware and bought a length of vinyl hose that fit tightly in the hole. When the fermentation activity calmed down, I replaced the blowoff with an airtrap. Had no clogging whatsoever. ymmv.

glenn514:mug:

I use a standard 6.5 pail with grommet and 3 pc airlock. Ever since I started full boils and aeration, a blow off tube is essential for the first 2-3 days. I came in a few weeks ago and found the lid of the pail all pushed up, the airlock blocked with trub and beer, quite literally squirting out of the relief holes on the airlock.

The last few, I just rig everything up and fill the airlock witk some vodka or rum, leave the cap off and then attach my hose to the center post. In 2-3 days when the bubbles have slowed, I sterlize the open airlock with a few spritzes of rum/vodka, replace the cap and then proceed as normal.

Back