Blow off beer/wort lose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosephN

Reaction score
I just brewed a pumpkin porter yesterday, I did everything right, but I got a bit greedy and filled my 6.5gallon carboy to the 6.5 gallon mark. The last beer I brewed I did this and everything was fine, but this one is a different story. I'm using Wyeasts Irish Ale yeast and I did what I call a double starter. Made one on Monday, then another on thursday and decanted the first into some mason jars to save the extra yeast and added the original starter to the second one. Anyways I pitched my yeast last night at 6pm and in less than 12 hours my growler is overflowing with foam, and my 1/2" ID hose is full of brown gunk, Probably mostly pumpkin bits that I couldn't keep from getting in my fermenting container. I've lost at least 1 gallon of wort due to this blow off. I'm wondering if I might be in the clear now with the levels being around the 5.5 gallon mark and being 29 hrs since my pitch? I think this yeast is really fast fermenting, at least that is the way it seemed with my starter on monday and thursday. I keep having to dump out my container and clean the tub to prevent it from literally clogging.

Thoughts?

Bigger blow off tube...and leave some head space...a layer of CO2 will prevent anything from harming the beer.

With my 6.5 gallon ale pale the max i put in is 5.5...just my .02

On at least one occasion all it took was the release of pressure from taking off the blowoff tube to do whatever it took to put a regular 3 piece airlock..... I would do it just keep an eye on it.

Forge ahead. The initial fermentation will be the most active but should be done within a few days. After that, you'll be able to leave it alone without having to worry about the hose clogging. Next time don't fill it so high.

I need to get a 7.9 gallon bucket for the primary and then have my 6.5 gallon carboys for secondary.

You can build a small Burton union that recovers your blow off, returns it to the fermenter, and captures yeast.
Burton Union

Yes, that's exactly the solution I need!!! Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out because I sure hate that I've already lost about 1.5 gallons due to blow off pressure. It just makes me sick that I've spent so much time getting this batch just right and there it goes, literally, down the drain.

I thought I was greedy! ;)

I just successfully fermented this batch (with T-58).

I temp controlled the fermentation starting at 60F and then bumped it up 2-3F per day (starting on day 2). Now I am up to 75F and it is finished with no blow off!

D4M4rnFGZxylfNeLJrq21Nl6J93yJv30I6CZu9ews10

^^^ nice!!! I started mine at 63F and it just blew up, but I had a butt ton of yeast that suggests to ferment at that temp. Maybe I should have dropped it to 60ish. Great job man.

Definitely agree with the low fermentation temps to start with for the first few days and then let it rise up to finish. It also helps to make sure the wort is chilled down before adding the yeast. Usually takes me 3 to 4 hours with the probe taped to the side of the fermentor and then I'll pitch the yeast.

My thoughts: leave at least a half gallon or so (preferably one gallon) of headspace next time, and use FermCap to limit blowoff.

^^^ nice!!! I started mine at 63F and it just blew up, but I had a butt ton of yeast that suggests to ferment at that temp. Maybe I should have dropped it to 60ish. Great job man.

Thanks!

I think that your fresh starter really had the yeast ready to go to work.

For mine I pitched the slurry from a beer that has been cold crashed (the entire cake split then into two new fermenters). I did not oxygenate the wort or add yeast nutrient (from past experience this causes an even faster start and explosive fermentation)... not saying those things are bad but if you have enough fresh yeast it is not required.

My strategy lately is to start fermentation at the minimum "ideal" fermentation temp and end at the maximum "recommended" ferm temp. Most manufactures give similar fermenatation ranges (or only one range).

HhnaAD_opTPZXGAibwIye56bsWHZzYc1xctoeV2rs_8

Seems to be working for me (hitting low FGs and good flavor).

It also helps to make sure the wort is chilled down before adding the yeast. Usually takes me 3 to 4 hours with the probe taped to the side of the fermentor and then I'll pitch the yeast.

Interesting!! I usually cool it down to about 64-68F and pitch the yeast right after aerating and before putting the carboy in my chamber. Now that you bring it up there isn't really any big hurry to get the yeast in after the boil. I don't think I should wait a day, but a few hours wouldn't hurt. I have at least started doing whirlpools and racking from my kettle to reduce turb. The first few batches I would just dump everything in except the hops, I'd filter those out. It's def a learning process.

I did not oxygenate the wort or add yeast nutrient (from past experience this causes an even faster start and explosive fermentation)... not saying those things are bad but if you have enough fresh yeast it is not required.

I added yeast nutrients and I oxygenated as good as I could with a simple air pump, filter and stone. I might try to cut the yeast nutrients out when I have made a starter. It makes sense to not need it when the yeast is already kicking and ready to go. Now oxygenating I'm probably going to do because I really feel like the yeast need it. They might not need as much as some people do it. I'll go back and look at my notes to see if there is a pattern.

In my experience, the Irish ale strain(WY1028,I think) is like a teenage boy- explosive and over with quickly. It's one of the few strains that I make sure to start off with a blowoff tube, and definitely keep the temp. in the low 60's. Other than that, it's a great yeast and has never failed me.

In my experience, the Irish ale strain(WY1028,I think) is like a teenage boy- explosive and over with quickly. It's one of the few strains that I make sure to start off with a blowoff tube, and definitely keep the temp. in the low 60's. Other than that, it's a great yeast and has never failed me.

Jim, man you hit the nail on the head. Even in my starters it just took off and finished in a very short time. I actually did start with a 1/2'' blow off tube, and thought that would be enough, but man it just went crazy....

Now after nearly 48 hrs its finally stabilized and I'm no longer loosing wort, if really at this point its probably beer with this yeast. I'm definitely harvesting this yeast, and I think I'm going to use it with my all grain Sweetwater Happy Ending clone.

What have you used it on? What kind of results did you have with it? It reports lower temps make a dry ale, and 64F+ have more fruityness, I'm assuming that means fruity esters and sweeter. Any info on this yeast would be great.

Have you use this stuff before? Can you give details?

It's a product containing dimethylpolysiloxane (active ingredient in products used for flatulence control) that breaks the surface tension of the wort and helps mitigate foaming during the boil and during fermentation. You add a relatively small number of drops to the wort and it is usually fairly effective. I add to all my starters and brews during the boil and during fermentation. Available through many brew supply shops.

I had a discussion on whether it is safe for use a while back, if interested:
FermCap Discussion

It's a product containing dimethylpolysiloxane (active ingredient in products used for flatulence control) that breaks the surface tension of the wort and helps mitigate foaming during the boil and during fermentation. You add a relatively small number of drops to the wort and it is usually fairly effective. I add to all my starters and brews during the boil and during fermentation. Available through many brew supply shops.

I had a discussion on whether it is safe for use a while back, if interested:

FermCap Discussion

I picked up a little vial yesterday. It came in a blue bottle with a dropper. Thanks for the thread link, I'm eager to check it out.

Joseph- I've used the yeast on mostly Irish reds- about 1/2 dozen. Also a couple of porters. I'm not a big fan of estery flavors, so I tend to ferment at low temps. My experience- Malty, with no off flavors.
By the way, I boil 6.5G batches in a 7G BK, so I use fermcap in the kettle every batch. Have not had to add to the fermenter, and do occasionally have the need for a blowoff tube the 1st couple days. But no volcano blowoffs..........yet. :mug:

Joseph- I've used the yeast on mostly Irish reds- about 1/2 dozen. Also a couple of porters. I'm not a big fan of estery flavors, so I tend to ferment at low temps. My experience- Malty, with no off flavors.

By the way, I boil 6.5G batches in a 7G BK, so I use fermcap in the kettle every batch. Have not had to add to the fermenter, and do occasionally have the need for a blowoff tube the 1st couple days. But no volcano blowoffs..........yet. :mug:

What temp did you keep yours at for best results, and what range should I stay away from. So far I'm 6 days in and I've only gotten to 64f. This weekend I'm brewing a Hefeweizen that Jamil says to keep the temp at 62f, which I think will work to finish out this porter a well. I'm gonna start lowering the temp right now.

For the 1st 3-4 days I'll keep it down around 62-64. After that I let the temp rise freely. In other words, I stop adding ice bottles(when necessary). By the end of the week I usually take it out of the water bath and let her go to ambient. Any off flavors due to high temps happen within the 1st 48 hours and a temp rise toward the end helps keep the yeast working.
Before I started obsessing about checking temps I got some estery flavors with a few different yeast strains. Temps, based on ambient, were probably high 60's - mid 70's. Did I mention I don't like estery flavors? ;)

Latest posts

Back