Blonde vs Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASantiago

Reaction score
I'm starting my research for a light ale that I can serve my light-beer-drinking friends and relatives. I want something that resembles a lager (crisp, good attenuation, etc), but lagering is not an option for me at this time.

So, I've got the style down to either a blond ale or a cream ale. However, their descriptions are similar. Can someone explain what the main differences are?

Thanks!

Cream Ales usually use corn adjuncts to give it a creamier mouthfeel.
They are also either finished with lager yeast, or use a yeast blend of an ale and lager yeast. Some are blond ales blended with light lagers (tho I have no idea what homebrewer would go thru that trouble).

Blond Ales are usually 100% malt with any clean fermenting ale yeast, tho yeast blends and adjuncts can be used.

The way I see it, it really just depends on what you want to call it, there is such a thin line. No one will call you out one way or the other.

I suspect that if you entered the same ale in both categories in a BJCP competition there would be no issues whatsoever, their style guidelines really overlap, making it possible for one to be the other.

Latest posts

Back