Blonde Stout critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str1p3s

Reaction score
I brewed this blonde ale a while back and it turned out really well. I got the idea to do a blonde stout using this recipe, scaled down to 3 gallons. I settled on cold brewing about 2 cups of coffee and adding it to the bottling bucket. My question is if anyone thinks the dry hopping in the recipe will still be a good idea with the coffee addition. As well as any other type of critique you may have. Thanks in advance!

7.50 lbs Pale 2-row
1.50 lbs Munich 10L
0.50 lbs Carapils
0.50 lbs Flaked Oats
0.25 lbs Crystal 20L

0.50 ounces Galena @ 60m
0.25 ounces Cascade @ 15m
0.25 ounces Chinook @ 15m
0.25 ounces Cascade @ 5m
0.25 ounces Centennial @ 5m

0.50 ounces Cascade @ dryhop (5 days)
0.50 ounces Centennial @ dryhop (5 days)

Mash @ 151F for 60m, sparge to achieve enough wort for a 5.5 gallon post boil batch.

US-05 yeast

I would course grind coffee beans then add them to the secondary after fermentation. The coffee flavor will be more predominant, and won't cloud the beer murky like brewed coffee might on a lightish colored beer. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

I'm a CT fella and managed to get my hands on a log of Stony Joe from Stony Creek Brewing - currently in my kegerator burning a hole in my pint glasses. If you haven't heard of it, it's a blonde coffee stout. AMAZING. I was reading, and I think they rack their secondary over coarse ground beans as Build suggested. I too think that adding brewed coffee would give the beer a rather odd look, and might not impart the flavor as artfully as steeping the beans in your secondary. Steeping in secondary, I imagine, would also do a better job giving you a coffee smell on the nose.

I already typed this and just realized this is a few months old, but I'll post anyway. Did you brew yet, how did it turn out?

I already typed this and just realized this is a few months old, but I'll post anyway. Did you brew yet, how did it turn out?

Just noticed this 6 months later :D

I did brew it. I put whole beans into secondary. I'm at work right now so I don't have my notes as to how much. If there is a next time I will tone down the coffee probably by half. As it aged, it started to taste kind of weird. I've heard coffee can put a green pepper taste after a while and I think that might be what it was. However, it is all gone now, if that tells you anything :mug:

Back