Blichmann Top Tier thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
Hello

Looking at getting a Blichmann Top Tier system with Power Tower. I know the EasyBrew is coming out soon but I'd rather have all options for myself. Question I have is on kettle size for my Mash and Brew kettle. I normally do 5 gallon batches but may get into some 10gallon possibly; not many though.

What size kettles would you recommend for me to get? I was thinking a 10 gal and 15 gal. Thoughts? I don't think I'd need 2 15 gal.

Thanks!

I would probably go with 2 15 gallon kettles. If you did any 10 gallon batches you might regret not having a larger mash tun for the batches. If you're spending the money anyway it may be worth the extra $70. I have 3 20 gallon kettles I use on my top tier and I love them. You can't go wrong either way!

Cheers!

Yes, I do 5 gallon batches in my 20 gallon pots. There are a couple of drawbacks. First, the thermometer isn't low enough in the larger pots to read the temperature of the wort so if you're using an immersion chiller you will have to figure out a way to read the temps. I use a plate chiller so it's not a big deal. I know some people punch a second hole in the kettle and lower the thermometer and plug the first hole. Second, the wider diameter of the larger pots leaves more wort at the end of the boil that doesn't get into the fermenter. For my 20 gallon kettle, I lose around 3/4 gallon that stays in the kettle.

For me, it was worth the trade off because I figured it would be easier to work around those issues before I had to purchase new equipment. I probably brew 10 gallon batches 50% of the time and 5 gallon batches the other 50% of the time. Either way would work but I like having the flexibility brew a 10 gallon barleywine or a 5 gallon session ale. With the smaller mash tun you have some limitations.

I'm sure you'll love the equipment either way.

Is it ok to do 5 gallon batches in those larger pots?

I frequently do 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle. It is not ideal though as the thermometer can get out of the wort. I bought another kettle at 10 gallon capacity for those batches now.

I own two 20 and a 15. I use the 15 as my HLT and the 20s for a BK and MLT for 10+gal batches. I'll swap the 20gal BK with the 15gal, so my BK is the 15 and HLT is a 20, for anything under 10gal.

I never rely on the pots' thermometer. I use a thermapen, so that's not an issue.

I personally have no issue transferring just about everything out of my BK with the dip tube. I have a single tier and a couple pumps, so maybe that's why. I do whirlpool first.

Plus I promise you will start doing majority 10 gallon brews once you get this set-up. Don't kid yourself. I never thought I would, but I hardly do any 5s now.

Tough call! I just don't know how often ill do a 10gallon batch. Ugh tough call. I don't wanna loose the thermometer and such.

You know you best, but I can tell you from experience... Doing 10 gallon batches is awesome.

For example... I'm brewing Sunday with a friend. He doesn't brew, so it'll be his first. He wants to do a warm weather beer, so I suggested a lemon lime hef.

I can do a double batch and split it with him....or (and this is what I'm doing) were going to make the base the same and in the fermenter one will become a grape fruit while the other is lemon lime.

Doing 10 gal of that tried and true brew is also awesome.

Hello

Looking at getting a Blichmann Top Tier system with Power Tower. I know the EasyBrew is coming out soon but I'd rather have all options for myself. Question I have is on kettle size for my Mash and Brew kettle. I normally do 5 gallon batches but may get into some 10gallon possibly; not many though.

What size kettles would you recommend for me to get? I was thinking a 10 gal and 15 gal. Thoughts? I don't think I'd need 2 15 gal.

Thanks!

Sorry to get off track and hijack this thread, but what is the EasyBrew that is coming out soon? I've been googling but haven't figured out what you were referring to.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

Is a new system by Blichmann for BIB type set-up. Should be coming out at end of the month.

Im thinking Ill get a 10G and 15G pot......anyone every boil in a 15G pot before w/ Blichmann Boilmaker? Problems? Does thermometer stay covered? I dont see myself doing too many 10gal batches since I only use 5G corney.

I didn't realize you have two threads. I responded to your other.

Is a new system by Blichmann for BIB type set-up. Should be coming out at end of the month.

Im thinking Ill get a 10G and 15G pot......anyone every boil in a 15G pot before w/ Blichmann Boilmaker? Problems? Does thermometer stay covered? I dont see myself doing too many 10gal batches since I only use 5G corney.

I'm not home to verify, but I think the thermometer is at the 6-7 gal mark

Latest posts

Back