Blichmann regulator hose on fire

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like an E-Stop that shuts everything immediately off is a good feature to add.

And harder gas plumbing - those crimped flex lines clearly are a liability...

Cheers!

Blichmann says to only use their regulator with their floor burners.

Blichmann says to only use their regulator with their floor burners.

So? They also sell natural gas conversion kits that preclude using the 0-10 psi propane regulator.

Anyway, the problem isn't the regulator, it's a defective hose. My stand uses the Blichmann regulators with the hoses removed and replaced with hard plumbing - not because I steered away from the stock hoses, just that they were way too long for my needs...

Cheers!

Bichmann sent me replacements for all damaged parts(They have great customer service) but still need to wait for them to receive the damaged items and let me know what the cause was.

I have one of the B burners and love it. BUT, look at the photos shown above.. GEEZ.. look at the bend in that hose. I don't know and am not pointing fingers at any of the failures.. but, they are NOT meant to be tightly bent that way.. there is no strain relief on those hoses..

That aside, as John mentioned.. stuff happens.. that's why there is a warranty on most things.

I have one of the B burners and love it. BUT, look at the photos shown above.. GEEZ.. look at the bend in that hose. I don't know and am not pointing fingers at any of the failures.. but, they are NOT meant to be tightly bent that way.. there is no strain relief on those hoses..

That aside, as John mentioned.. stuff happens.. that's why there is a warranty on most things.

That was just how the hose rested naturally, there is no tension on it what so ever. When the regulator arrives in the mail, its wound up in a loop which gives it a permanent coil.

Having spent the last 2 years in telecom construction, this was my first reaction too. Those hoses are bent too much and too close to the junction point.

Hoses and wires should have a gentle bend radius to minimize strain/stress on the hose or wire. Just because the hose hangs a certain way with no external forces acting on it (other than gravity) does not mean that that position is good for the hose. That sharp bend right at the connection puts more strain than you would think on the hose. To reduce the strain on the hose (which can obviously cause failures) it needs to run straight out of the junction and then gradually bend down.

Something tells me hose bend radius wasn't considered when the extension legs were developed. With the burner at ground level there is no issue with bend radius, as the hose comes out of the regulator and travels horizontally to the tank, versus the immediate vertical dive it takes from the elevated burner.

EDIT: So after looking at more pictures of the burner with the leg extensions, it looks like the hose sits in a much more natural position than either of the examples posted here, I'm guessing that when the hose caught on fire, it melted, causing it to bend more to the ground?

I have a relatively new burner. I've had problems with these "blowbacks" too. I think mine may have been due to not having a tight connection between the propane hose and the connector on the burner. I'm waiting to hear back from Blichmann to see if that sounds reasonable... seems reasonable.

I have a relatively new burner. I've had problems with these "blowbacks" too. I think mine may have been due to not having a tight connection between the propane hose and the connector on the burner. I'm waiting to hear back from Blichmann to see if that sounds reasonable... seems reasonable.

Happened to me once. Make sure that's tight, can be scary.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have the same burner. Occasionally, wind will blow the flame back into the gas intake area. For this reason, I do not walk away from the burner when it is on.

Haha! For this reason, I would be walking AWAY from the burner when it was on.

I've used numerous ****ty and decent propane burners and never had this issue. Way to go Blingmann!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

I live on a hill with constant winds and blowbacks happen to me at least once a brewday. It's very frustrating considering the cheap turkey fryers I had before never ever did this. I have found taking it off the leg extensions helps a little. I would consider alternatives if you do not have a covering like a garage. I am in the same position as the OP because I went inside to pee and came back out to a jet of fire shooting out the back. Burned the hose up.

Latest posts

Back