blichmann hop blocker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
anybody using this? How about with a Jamil type chiller? I can't seem to get a reliable system for filtration during cooling using my march pump.

jamil chller rocks. i posted a thread on here last year where i compared regular ic to whirlpooling. by whirlpooling you can cool in half the time.

as regards hop blocker - look up lil sparky's hop blocker. i am too lazy to look for the links right now. it is basically a paint strainer bag and also works good.

I bought one used. It's worked so-so. It's not ideal with an IC.
I try to whirlpool with a paint mixer and let it rest. It catches some stuff but I still end up final filtering with a paint strainer.

I would think if you whirlpool and acheive a nice cone AND use a plate or CFC chiller, then it would work great. This is pretty much how Blichmann advises.

I use one and it works pretty well. I do use a whirlpool chiller with it. I think that's the key as someone else said.

IPAs with a Hop Stopper isn't an issue.

Here's mine with 23 oz in an Imperial IPA (a clone of Pliny the Elder):

IMG_4157.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

IMG_4171.jpg

Filtered/drained without any issues at all.

I prefer it to any other solution since it's zero work. No need to whirlpool, open or move trap doors, like the the Hop Blocker.

Kal

I prefer it to any other solution since it's zero work. No need to whirlpool, open or move trap doors, like the the Hop Blocker.

Kal

Do you recirc to sanitize your chiller? I have the exact same setup and can't ever get my kettle to drain fully. Even with just 2 or 3 ozs of hops, it still stops draining with a gallon left, it's driving me nuts. It will drain out with just water in there.

_

Do you recirc to sanitize your chiller?
Nope.

I have the exact same setup and can't ever get my kettle to drain fully. Even with just 2 or 3 ozs of hops, it still stops draining with a gallon left, it's driving me nuts. It will drain out with just water in there.
As soon as the hop stopper gets exposed to air slow down the flow rate to just a trickle, otherwise you'll likely funnel and start sucking in air from the top. I had the same problem at first.

Kal

kal said:

Here's mine with 23 oz in an Imperial IPA (a clone of Pliny the Elder):

Filtered/drained without any issues at all.

Kal

Interesting, any one want to buy a hop blocked

I just used my hopblocker (and my Blichmann kettle) for the first time last night and it worked like a charm. I tried to whirlpool, but I think the hopblocker itself causes too much turbulence, so I just let the chilled wort (from an IC) settle for about 20 minutes. I drained the kettle into a paint strainer to catch whatever came through (and to help aerate) and I probably had about 10-15 mL of break material total in the strainer (21 L batch).

The wort was the clearest I've ever had going into the fermenter (but it was a lightly hopped bitter, 1.048 OG) and there was only ~100 mL of wort left in the bottom of the kettle with the break.

break.jpg

To anyone using a Blichmann hop blocker: if you read the directions it came with and follow them accurately you won't have any problems. If you use a pump between the brew kettle and the chiller, it won't work for you.

Back