• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Pennsylvania Blichmann HERMS System: 3 Kettles, 2 Burners, pumps, stand, etc...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

717brewer

Reaction score
Hi all I have the common story of not brewing as much recently and wanting to downsize to a Grainfather so I can do smaller batches and have less stuff to clean up. Due to the size of these things I don't want to ship these, you can either pick them up or I could probably fit them in my car if you'd prefer to meet somewhere which is fine by me. I live in Lancaster, PA but would be happy to drive an hour or so to meet up if it would be easier. I'm looking to get $1000 for the system since there are a lot of nice parts I've collected over the years, the only trade I would really consider would be if someone has a Grainfather and is looking to upgrade, other than that I'd just like a straight sale. Any questions feel free to let me know!

A little backstory first, I loosely modeled this system after Kal's awesome Electric HERMS setup except that I wasn't wired for 240v so I decided to go propane instead. I also chose to go with tri-clamps and an immersion chiller as I preferred the ease of use with both of them, but its the same basic setup, I heat the mash through the coil in the HLT and then use that water to fly sparge into the boil kettle. All of the ball valves that were added were properly punched into the kettle and are 1/2" weldless bulkheads. Here is a picture of everything then I'll go into a little more detail about each piece:
28758558461_abb963b858_b.jpg

I forgot to mention the little table is just something I got at Target, I liked it because of the heat resistant top and the wheels made it easy to bring outside. Here is the drawer where I keep all of the extra clamps, gaskets, fittings, etc along with the hoses I use with the pumps and two hop blockers, Bilchmann's and a Hop Stopper like Kal used. I usually used Blichmann's with leaf pellets and the Hop Stopper with pellets but to be honest they were basically the same.
28834623195_8c8cf2cfe6_b.jpg

Boil Kettle and 50' SS immersion chiller with ~10' of silicone tubing on the inlet and outlet, I switched back to a 1/2" fitting to drain the kettle but have tri-clamp fittings if you'd prefer:
28834622075_59ce84c771_b.jpg

Two pumps; one March I used for the HLT recirculation and a Chugger I used for the Mash and to transfer to the boil kettle. I mounted a power strip to the little table that I use to control the pumps:
28758568371_6d51b9f7e7_b.jpg

HLT with 25' SS coil inside:
28758570641_c3e2f90bdf_b.jpg

Mash Tun with False bottom:
28550605520_482e46e448_b.jpg

Here are some old pictures of the burners; they have two sets of legs the large ones pictured in the first picture and the shorter ones if you wanted to lower them. They also have the SS heat shields for the ball valve and thermometers on the kettle.
14798445639_69f1f705fd_b.jpg
14985135355_eb56b76722_b.jpg

Here are some old pictures of the system in use to give an idea of how it all goes together, this was before I got the 3rd Blichmann kettle for the HLT:
9579852830_d9788f2928_b.jpg

9577067919_26230bb56f_b.jpg

I think I covered everything there, as I said earlier though feel free to PM me with any questions you may have about the pieces or possibly meeting up somewhere. Again I am located in Lancaster PA but would be willing to drive to meet somewhere if it would make it easier. Thanks for looking!

Nice setup! What size are the kettles? 1/2" immersion chiller? How about the HERMS coil, 1/2" also? Sorry that I'm not interested in the brewhaus, just noting some missing info. GLWTS!

Ah thanks, I knew I forgot something! :mug:

The kettles are the 10 Gallon versions, I usually had about 6.5-7 gallons into the boil kettle to get 5.5 into the fermenter after the boil. The HERMS coil is 25' of 1/2" SS, I know some people do 3/8" but it was good enough for the mash to only lag the HLT temp by a few minutes while heating up. The immersion chiller is 50' of 3/8" SS, while stirring and with winter tap water it can chill the boil down in ~10 minutes or so however its obviously not as fast right now in the middle of summer. I know I got the chiller from stainlessbrewing.com, and I think I got the HERMS coil from there as well, definitely very well made stuff.

Now that I'm thinking about it I believe the rest of the hardware, tri-clamps, bulkheads, etc. are from Brewers Hardware.

If you were willing to part it out I'm interested in the two burners.

I'd like to give it a little time to see if anyone is interested in the whole package but if anyone was interested in the other stuff I'm definitely not opposed to working something out!

Thanks!

You might enjoy the trip, we've got great breweries and of course the Amish! :D

Thanks for the bump!

I'll admit I haven't really followed prices for this sort of thing too much, I just figured this was a decent price for the equipment but also realize its a pretty niche thing that will take the right buyer. I'm trying to downsize some music gear as well and with those you definitely have to have fire-sale prices if you want to move stuff quickly.

*edit* Ha I'm not sure we have teleportation yet, though I do know someone with a DeLorean :D

Alight how about a little something to sweeten the deal? :mug:

I certainly can't fit these into my car so you'd have to come pick it up with a truck or rent a U-Haul, but if you pick it up I'll throw in a fermentation fridge for free! Its a GE 7 cu. ft. freezer with the Johnson controller, its maybe 2 or 3 years old at this point and works just fine. I'm basically just doing Belgians these days and let them go crazy so this pretty much just stores beer and yeast at this point.

And if you are picking it up and would like a kegerator I'd sell this with the kegs for $300, its the same GE freezer except I just modded the factory thermostat so its ~50F when on the lowest setting, it can easily still work with a temp controller but I found I didn't really change my temps often. It includes 5 ball lock kegs, 3 Perlick faucets, a 10lb CO2 tank, manifold, etc.

28314571114_35530c7fa0_b.jpg

Back