Blichmann Hellfire heat deflection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all:
I just bought a new BH and plan on using it soon. It is closer to the ground than my old burner. I usually brew on my brick porch. Is there anything that people use preventing heat from reflecting off the bricks. I am mostly concerned during the winter. I would hate a lot of freeze and thaw damaging the bricks.

I like the height of the burner but I can raise it a bit onto blocks if necessary. I would love a 1/2 thick slab of asbestos to put under it.

thanks, Charlie

fwiw, before I built my first single-tier rig I used to set one of my (original) Floor Burners on my composite deck, atop a 20" square paving tile I picked up from Home Depot for a few bucks.

One thing I noticed was moisture from post-combustion products would condense atop the paver, so there really wasn't that big a potential heat problem to begin with.

Later I picked up a set of the 24" legs which truly buried any heat issues...

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply. I too have brewed on top of my brick porch but with burners that do not produce as much heat as the Hellfire. I plan to brew tomorrow on a few blocks and leave it at that. I might take some temp reading below the Hellfire to see if my concerns are warranted. Current weather does not worry me much but later this winter I might be concerned, freeze thaw.

Back