Blichmann Fermentator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roger_tucker

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to use my Blichmann Ferementator for the for the first time. I've cleaned the tank and lib with PBW and I'm soaking all the fittings. I understand I have to sanitize all of the fittings, tank and lid prior to use. I'm wonder if I need to remove the weldless bulkhead fitting at the bottom of the tank and the pick up tube, every time. Both of these require a wrench to remove. Anyone have any experience with these fermentors.

I don't believe you have to in reality but I think it's recommended.. especially if it sits between use. Some of the SS brewtech fermenters have weldless fittings as well.. never understood why such expensive fermenters could not be sanitary like most of the others....

Presumably they'd be even more expensive.

Sanitary welding SS ain't bean bag, and over the years here there've been some total horror shows from folks that took their kettle fitting work to alleged "welders" who clearly were total hacks wrt stainless steel...

Cheers!

I took the pick up tube off which is pretty simple. I did not take off the bulkhead fitting at the bottom. First use, I'm sure it'll be fine, but I'll make sure take it off after I use it. Better safe than sorry I guess. I guess there's a chance that bugs might be able to survive between the fitting and the tank, especially after a cake trub has been sitting on it.

I bought a used one here a couple years ago. It was clean when I got it. I used it probably 8 times before i decided to break everything down. it was perfectly clean inside... I expected a little something. But then I am pretty good about cleaning it as soon as i am done using it...

Back