Blichmann Breweasy vs Brutus 20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choirjon

Reaction score
Are these two two kettle systems run on the same premis? Do they both continually recirculate the mash into the boil kettle?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brutus 20 explanation http://alenuts.com/Alenuts/brutus20.html

BrewEasy explanation http://blichmannengineering.com/products/breweasy

I have been researching both set ups a lot lately. The BrewEasy originally caught my eye because of how compact it was and would be a cinch to run in the house off of the dryer outlet. I had to sell my single tier rig before my last move because it was just too big and I needed to make my allowed moving weight. But after everything is said and done it's accentually a two tier Brutus 20. I can’t really tell the difference as far as brewing procedure. You could put together your own two vessel system for a whole hell of a lot cheaper than a Brew easy if you were so inclined. That’s what I'm working towards, using a couple of converted kegs and a collar made out of a cheap 60 qt stockpot so I can stack them up ala the BrewEasy.

It looks like its continuously recirculating between the pots, even during the mash? that's a bit of a change from Brutus 20. Seems odd really. It's no spare BIAB, with the added cost of two pots and cross recirc.

I have been looking into this and wondered specifically what (if any) differences there are between the Brutus method (not starting cross-kettle recirculation until after the mash is complete) and the Breweasy method (using cross-kettle recirculation throughout the mash). If you used the same grain bill and water profile/volume, would one way extract more sugar than another? Would one method take longer than another?

Back