Blichmann BrewEasy temp probe issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
The BrewEasy (Counter Top Brutus 20) looks like a super automated system but there is one thing that concerns me, the combination of the auto sparge and temp probe location.

If the auto sparge excessively reduces the flow into the mash run or even stops the flow then the probe which is in the liquid return line would cool, and the boiler would then overheat or boil.

I'm hoping an owner can set my mind at rest, I've contacted Blichmann but so far have had no reply.

Many thanks. Aamcle

50+ views and no answers! A Bad Day at Black Rock!

Errrr...... Does anybody have one of these yet?

Aamcle

The BrewEasy (Counter Top Brutus 20) looks like a super automated system but there is one thing that concerns me, the combination of the auto sparge and temp probe location.

If the auto sparge excessively reduces the flow into the mash run or even stops the flow then the probe which is in the liquid return line would cool, and the boiler would then overheat or boil.

I'm hoping an owner can set my mind at rest, I've contacted Blichmann but so far have had no reply.

Many thanks. Aamcle

I tried to find a picture with the temperature probe your talking about but I cant find one. I imagine the automated probe is in the HLT/Boil kettle and not the mash tun preventing it from boiling over and the wort return line would keep the constant temperature in the mash tun. The auto sparge would let the wort in as fast as you let it out in the circulation so I don't think there would be a huge temperature drop in the line, if there is then you can counter it with a few more degrees in your HLT/Boil kettle that way when it hits your mash ton its the temperature you want. My two cents...

I have had a reply from Blichmann, the probe is in the line after the pump not in the boiler.
In event of a stuck mash the auto sparge closes the valve no more liquid flows from the boiler through the pump, past the temperature probe and into the top M/T.

This allows the probe to cool and as a result the contents of the M/T will boil if you are not keeping an eye on it.

ATB. Aamcle

Friend of mine got a breweasy, electric version and this exact issue came up. The autosparge is trouble becuase there isn't any way to tell if it's open or closed without taking the lid off the mashtun or constant monitoring of liquid levels. This resulted in the boil kettle heating the other liquid much higher than needed. Then if you resume recirc it raises the mash temp too much. I'd suggest leaving the autosparge off entirely, its just not needed. Also the mash temp reading is really far from the mash, the wort drains directly into the boil kettle underneath and there is no way to get a temp reading there, the probe on the other side of the pump is much different than the temp in the mash itself. We will learn the quirks but the design could use some modifications to make hitting temps much more reliable.

Friend of mine got a breweasy, electric version and this exact issue came up. The autosparge is trouble becuase there isn't any way to tell if it's open or closed without taking the lid off the mashtun or constant monitoring of liquid levels. This resulted in the boil kettle heating the other liquid much higher than needed. Then if you resume recirc it raises the mash temp too much. I'd suggest leaving the autosparge off entirely, its just not needed. Also the mash temp reading is really far from the mash, the wort drains directly into the boil kettle underneath and there is no way to get a temp reading there, the probe on the other side of the pump is much different than the temp in the mash itself. We will learn the quirks but the design could use some modifications to make hitting temps much more reliable.
Anything further on this? I have a 10-gallon electric BrewEasy tha I just watch like a hawk. One mistake I made was to let the kettle go during the mash rest. I caught it pretty early but it still brought my temps up enough such that I had to add cool water and watch it closely.

I haven't tried removing the autosparge yet- by that I assume you mean just leaving it open and adjusting the flow so that you have a consistent and proper water level in the mash tun. I will try this soon. Also, my temp probe is very flaky. It reads high/low frequently such that I have to do a power boot to reset it at least once or twice per session. A real PITA!

Back