Blichmann Brewcommander Customized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handbrewing

Reaction score
Has anyone taken the screen and control board out of a Blichmann Brewcommander and put it in a custom built controller? Could you replace a PID controlled controller with the control board and touchscreen of the Brewcommmander? I have a 50a system that runs two 5500w elements off of a single SSR. So the elements run simultaneously. Could I hook up the control board of a Brewcommander on this same setup? Any issues this might cause?

Yes, the screen and associate control circuit board comes out of the module with four screws and would act exactly like a typical PID. It has AC voltage in to power up the screen and 12 VDC control signal going to the SSR for element switching.

The question really comes does to whether you think the logic/display of that controller is worth starting with the $431 price tag when you can get very similar functionality from an Auber DSPR-320 module, just with a slightly less sexy display.

The question really comes does to whether you think the logic/display of that controller is worth starting with the $431 price tag when you can get very similar functionality from an Auber DSPR-320 module, just with a slightly less sexy display.
Bobby I get what you are saying for sure.. but it made me chuckle at the 'slightly less sexy display' hehee

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2023-02-23 18-39-08.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-23 18-39-08.png
    170.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot from 2023-02-23 18-40-03.png
    Screenshot from 2023-02-23 18-40-03.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 0
Wrapping paper isn't the gift. Once you understand both displays, like after 2 brew days, you don't notice the pixel difference.

The DSPR-320 will run through 18 different program steps, with the ability to flip between temp set points and power outputs with no user intervention. It also starts the timer at arriving at the set point (or whatever deviation you select) while the BC's step timer starts after a predetermined ramp time (that may or may not be input correctly by the user). Also $350 less cost for this particular project.

I'm not saying I don't see an aesthetic difference.

Last edited:
While not exactly what you asked, I added capability to the Brew Commander without actually modifying it. I did look at taking the guts out of the Brew Commander box and mounting it in the control box but decided it wasn't worth the additional complexity and risk - as well as voiding any warranty. I added the following capabilities (and more) by monitoring the power fed to the Brew commander:
- Votage & Current meter
- A large 'Element on' lamp instead of the small red icon on the Brew Commander's screen
- An emergency stop button to cut power easily
- An independent timer and large (annoying) siren

The Brew Commender has DIN rail slots in its heat sink and these are used to attach the Brew Commander to the control box.

Paul
4D05FB2A-8FF9-4AF1-BCC9-F42E90701B00.jpeg

Back