blichmann boilermaker or Mega pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls Beers

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Now I know Blichmann products are really good, but I'd like to hear from you..I'm looking for a couple 10 or 15 gallon kettles. What do you guys think?

I own two Blichmanns. If I were to do it over again, I'd go for a cheaper pot on the BK. Thermo isn't that important and I'd rather have a side pickup than the standard Blichmann diptube.

I own two Blichmanns. If I were to do it over again, I'd go for a cheaper pot on the BK. Thermo isn't that important and I'd rather have a side pickup than the standard Blichmann diptube.

How much closer to the side wall does the dip tube need to be to be a "side pickup"?
diptube.jpg

Cheers!

i agree. i sold my boilermaker and threw the money at a tower of power module which has improved my brew day way more than the boilermakers ever did. i love the boilermakers and blichmann products in general (i own a top tier stand too) i would own 3 of them if they were cheaper but they are not so i use keggles and they work great for me. they way i see it a kettle is a kettle regardless the number of bells and whistles attached so i just go by price and it's hard to beat a $30-50 keg with $20-40 worth of welding done to it with a $350+ kettle. i bet most people who have boilermakers love them, i did, but i like saving money even more.

I have a 15 gal boilermaker that i started using for full wort boils while extract brewing. It is now my MLT, as I couldn't justify the expense of the Blichmann's for my BK and HLT. I have older Penrose kettles for those. Both of them, with the doo-dads that are installed, were both cheaper than the one blichmann pot. I will recommend this, if you're looking to do 10 gal batches, get a 20 gal BK. I can do 10 gal batches, but I have to watch that protein break like a MOFO, with only 2 gal of headspace on the BK (the penrose is a 15.5 gal pot). The boilermaker with the false bottom as a MLT is pretty nice. But you either need to be able to direct fire it, use a rims tube, or insulate the hell out of it, at least in the NE. When it gets cool out, this thing doesn't hold temp well as a MLT.

I love my morebeer Megapot - the only downside is the shape (wider than tall), but it's really not a bad thing. The welded fittings are very nice, especially because of the fact that the threads on the inside are flush with the kettle wall. The thing is solid and the tri-clad bottom is obviously a benefit as well. I was debating between a Megapot and Boilermaker, but opted for the Megapot as I will be boiling and mashing in one vessel (BIAB) and didn't see the need for a thermometer (I don't really trust dial thermometers for mashing) and can do without the sight glass also.

I've said this in other threads. We have a guy in our club that has one. It looks nice, welds look good. The owner is happy with it. The only thing you need to keep in mind are pieces for it. Granted, I have not dealt directly with Spike, so I don't know if this is an option or not. My guy had to get a ball valve and thermo. He also did not realize he needed a pickup for the inside (luckily I had a spare I sold him). Just things to think about getting if they do not offer them directly. Check into bargianfittings.com if they don't. Wayne has great prices and is damn quick in delivery!!

I have 3 Blichmann's and a Spike. I don't really care about saving money as I look at function over cost 9 times out of 10. I use the Spike as my BK and it is VERY nice, especially for the price. It feels like it has thicker walls for the same volume as it is definitely heavier, even without the sightglass and thermometer.

photo-18.jpg

i know alot of people try to put down blichmanns saying you don't need a thermo, you don't need a sightglass. While you certianly don't, I do find having these configs even on my penrose kettles helpful. I have now started recircing my wort through my plate chiller back into the BK until the thermo reads around 100. Then I take a pass into my fermenter. It takes about 5 min to get it to 100. It's nice having that thermo there (be it a thermometer, or fancy blichmann one that tilts). Yeah, you don't need a sight glass if your system is totally dialed in and you pay 100% to everything on brew day. Sometimes stuff happens, and you miss something. it's nice being able to look at where I started, knowing where I need to get to. Did my bottle run out during the boil? Maybe, so I know I still need to get to "x" amount in my sight glass to get the OG I was looking for. And whether you get a Blichmann, or look at a Megapot, or a Keggle, or Spike, these are all things to take into account for add on's. Just food for thought.

You cannot beat Stout Conical equipment. They have welded fittings and that alone is worth it. Much heavier guage than boilermaker and for a little less. Go Stout!

Don't forget you can get megapots from instawares for pretty cheap. I brazed on some stainless nipples with a mapp torch and 56% silver solder. No probs so far.

I just posted yesterday that my Update Int. pot leaks at one of the rivets. I believe this is the same pot as Megapot.

No luck on warranty. Make sure you fill yours and boil water in it full before you start drilling.

Previously I'd been using a single Blichmann for both mash/lauter and BK, so I upgraded and picked up a Spike for the BK. I just received my Spike pot yesterday, and it's very similar to the Blichmann, with all the same features. It doesn't have the 2-level bottom that the Blichmann uses with their mash screen, but all the connections are welded. The Spike cost about $100 less fully outfitted when compared to the same size Blichmann.

Latest posts

Back