Blichmann Boilermaker G2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh lordy, here we go again with the dramatization...
Ironic.
Completely changed? It's an effing pot, it's used to boil liquid, but now it is completely different?
It is drastically different in looks and in some functions if one is in the middle of building a system based on the prior design. Let's not forget that historically Blichmann has targeted the higher end of the homebrewer market. I can effectively boil water or wort in a crawfish pot if I'm not particular. Historically, Blichmann has made their money off of people that _are_ particular, though.

Ironic.

It is drastically different in looks and in some functions if one is in the middle of building a system based on the prior design. Let's not forget that historically Blichmann has targeted the higher end of the homebrewer market. I can effectively boil water or wort in a crawfish pot if I'm not particular. Historically, Blichmann has made their money off of people that _are_ particular, though.

So this is what you consider "drastically different in looks"?

14956421820_0a910bac1d.jpg

So this is what you consider "drastically different in looks"?

14956421820_0a910bac1d.jpg
Yes. The finish and all the fittings are different. If you're building a completely new system, I can understand your not caring, but if you've sunk $1000 into two Blichmann pots like the one on the right, you think sinking another $500 into one that looks like the one on the left is stupid to make an issue of?

One interesting thing about this thread is there are people expressing their opinions on a new product - and then there are people expressing their opinions about whether those people should be allowed to have an opinion.

A simply marvelous paradigm for a discussion group...

Cheers!

One interesting thing about this thread is there are people expressing their opinions on a new product - and then there are people expressing their opinions about whether those people should be allowed to have an opinion.

A simply marvelous paradigm for a discussion group...

Cheers!

Indeed. Welcome to the Internet.

Yes. The finish and all the fittings are different. If you're building a completely new system, I can understand your not caring, but if you've sunk $1000 into two Blichmann pots like the one on the right, you think sinking another $500 into one that looks like the one on the left is stupid to make an issue of?

same finish will make your beer better? just asking...

Ironic.

I like how you reference a crawfish pot, being from the deep south and all. My first beer was made in 6" full size hotel pan.

And that bayou tech you sent me was delicious, made me want some Mudbugs

I certainly would be pissed if I was building my system one pot at a time...

You shouldn't have to spend $500 on a pot and then you, the customer, have to make it look good. That's a car payment, and it's not like Blichmann is the only option out there.

Oh, I wouldn't even be interested in trying.

I have 2 (a 15 and 20g G1) of my desired 3 kettles and I honestly could care less that Blichmann changed the appearance. I don't see why my HLT should look identical to my BK. They are different pieces of equipment serving different purposes.

I may still finish it out with a Blichmann, but I know I can find other great kettles out there. If Stout offered npt fittings on some of their pots I would strongly consider them but don't want tri-clover fittings.

Indeed. Welcome to the Internet.
One my favourite sayings I use on my wife is "Your opinion is wrong" because I actually inadvertently said it a few years back and immediately realized how silly it was ... Been using it on purpose ever since. ;)

Back on topic: I do like my kettles to look the same too so I could see being irked at not being able to get them to match. IT's one of the reasons I bought all 3 at the same time (way back when). Just in case, because you just never know...

Kal

One my favourite sayings I use on my wife is "Your opinion is wrong" because I actually inadvertently said it a few years back and immediately realized how silly it was ... Been using it on purpose ever since. ;)

Back on topic: I do like my kettles to look the same too so I could see being irked at not being able to get them to match. IT's one of the reasons I bought all 3 at the same time (way back when). Just in case, because you just never know...

Kal

Been eyeballing your control panels pretty hard. Whatever third kettle I choose, I'm strongly leaning towards going electric.

"Why, back when I started in this hobby, we didn't have access to all this nice equipment.We had to use surplus bedpans left over from the field hospitals @ the battle of Chewmorclit in 47, and left over solar concentrators from the hill battles in Burundi, in the war @ Lake ManIgottapee, which I believe was in '61, ...........( insert blah, blah, blah here........;) "

I bought a couple of the "blemished" G1 kettles to save money, if they are blemished I can't tell.

I wonder if they are really blemished or just a way to get rid of the G1s

I bought a couple of the "blemished" G1 kettles to save money, if they are blemished I can't tell.

I wonder if they are really blemished or just a way to get rid of the G1s

As I've stated previously, they are generally almost indistinguishable, but they do undoubtedly have something that happened to them that makes them considered 'blemished' otherwise they wouldn't sell them at a discount. I'm sure some of them may have more obvious defects than others, but even if it's only a case of the box being dropped in the warehouse, something had to be 'wrong' in comparison to a non-blemish.

I just received my 15 gallons G1 and the only thing I can find so far, is a good scratch on the lid, OK with me...

Went to my wine/beer supply store in Tulsa and found my son-in-law his Christmas present. They had a display of Blichmann G1 boilermakers on clearance. They had 2- 10gallons ( now only 1) and about 5- 15 gallons. They were sale priced with an additional 20% off. :ban:

Now that I no longer work at a home brew shop, I can fully exercise my 1st amendment rights and continue to say this pot is not a step forward, and be very careful with the valve.

Now that I no longer work at a home brew shop, I can fully exercise my 1st amendment rights and continue to say this pot is not a step forward, and be very careful with the valve.

Did your employer force you to take the pics and video down? Did Blichmann have something to do with that?

Did your employer force you to take the pics and video down? Did Blichmann have something to do with that?

A little of both, blichmann called the owner to complain... So beware how he does business, he will probably ask the mods to remove this post too. The fact that there is a obvious safety issue does not matter, only $$$$

A little of both, blichmann called the owner to complain... So beware how he does business, he will probably ask the mods to remove this post too. The fact that there is a obvious safety issue does not matter, only $$$$

WOW.

What was their complaint based on? Did they feel you were misrepresenting the product?

WOW.

What was their complaint based on? Did they feel you were misrepresenting the product?

I really don't know. Probably because I called the valve possibly unsafe if used wrong. I really don't have a grudge or anything, but to try to silence any valid concerns instead of addressing them worries me, after all that's why this forum is here.

As for my now former employer, I have no hard feelings for him at all, he has to make money and John B calling him probably threatened that.

Interesting. So instead of Blichmann addressing your concerns in this thread they instead called your employer to complain? Wow. That's pretty ****ty.

Anyone know when the 55 gallon extensions will be available for the G2 pots? Blichmann's website lists them as an option but none of the top 5 retailers list anything at all about them.

trimixdiver1: I was curious why your video disappeared so thanks for explaining... that's all very unfortunate. You should be able to post it on YouTube again given there was absolutely nothing wrong with it (it simply showed you unscrewing a valve on a kettle :rolleyes: ). Opinions are always valid and appreciated too. It's what helps move products forward.

Kal

Interesting. So instead of Blichmann addressing your concerns in this thread they instead called your employer to complain? Wow. That's pretty ****ty.

Yes that's correct. In other threads like the rims rocket "relief plug" issue, he PM me several times wanting to discuss the issue, but I always said it needs to be in the open forum. There are many other issues regarding quality control that I could get into as well. It just seems like there is this fake facade that he has this super quality engineering company, well as an engineer I find this to be a slap in the face. In reality most of what they do is import and slap some hardware on a product and a sticker and call it done. The new G2 pot is made in the USA but a lot of corners were cut to do so, and a new pos valve was added to justify the new pot.

With that said they do have nice products, and support isn't too bad most of the time. I just wish the cost was more inline with what you really get. I also hope Blichmann uses these threads as a tool to improve their products and hopefully get some real engineers so members on this forum don't have to do the fault engineering for them.

Anyone know when the 55 gallon extensions will be available for the G2 pots? Blichmann's website lists them as an option but none of the top 5 retailers list anything at all about them.

trimixdiver1: I was curious why your video disappeared so thanks for explaining... that's all very unfortunate. You should be able to post it on YouTube again given there was absolutely nothing wrong with it (it simply showed you unscrewing a valve on a kettle :rolleyes: ). Opinions are always valid and appreciated too. It's what helps move products forward.

Kal

Since it was a video of a pot that I didn't own in a store that I don't own, I will respect my former employer and not post it.

Thanks though!

Yes that's correct. In other threads like the rims rocket "relief plug" issue, he PM me several times wanting to discuss the issue, but I always said it needs to be in the open forum. There are many other issues regarding quality control that I could get into as well. It just seems like there is this fake facade that he has this super quality engineering company, well as an engineer I find this to be a slap in the face. In reality most of what they do is import and slap some hardware on a product and a sticker and call it done. The new G2 pot is made in the USA but a lot of corners were cut to do so, and a new pos valve was added to justify the new pot.

With that said they do have nice products, and support isn't too bad most of the time. I just wish the cost was more inline with what you really get. I also hope Blichmann uses these threads as a tool to improve their products and hopefully get some real engineers so members on this forum don't have to do the fault engineering for them.

Wow, never again will I support a horrible company. I cannot believe they got you fired because you're telling the truth.

The guy who blasted then over the rims rocket got a perm ban from this website over it. You should probably talk to a lawyer about wrongful termination.

How can a community like this support such a terrible company.

As far as the new valve is concerned I wonder if it is full open a good couple turns before it's free to pop out. I did notice (during the short time while you pics were up) that the threads started to show before the valve was fully unscrewed. I suppose the smarter homebrewers amongst us could use that as a sign that they have opened the valve far enough.

I'm in the market for a 20G kettle and my other two kettles are Blichmann. I hadn't written them off based on this new design. Not at all. But hearing how they heavy-handedly dealt with a person posting actual pictures of their actual products... Well, tht doesn't sit well with me. Not at all.

As far as the new valve is concerned I wonder if it is full open a good couple turns before it's free to pop out. I did notice (during the short time while you pics were up) that the threads started to show before the valve was fully unscrewed. I suppose the smarter homebrewers amongst us could use that as a sign that they have opened the valve far enough.

I'm in the market for a 20G kettle and my other two kettles are Blichmann. I hadn't written them off based on this new design. Not at all. But hearing how they heavy-handedly dealt with a person posting actual pictures of their actual products... Well, tht doesn't sit well with me. Not at all.

My entire system is blichmann all g1 kettles, therminator chillers, boil coils ...etc. Thank god I got most of the equipment second hand. I'll do my best to stop people from supporting a company like this. It's absolutely aweful!

The valves do show. John Blichmann shows this himself in this video:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MQZdL6Gk4[/ame]

For my electric setup where I only have the valves either open all the way or closed all the way, I'd still prefer a standard ball valve as it's faster to use and there's no chance of the valve popping off. So if I had to rebuild my system today and used the G2 kettles, I'd replace these valves with standard ball valves. YMMV. Everyone's system is different.

Speaking of which, has anyone confirmed that you can replace this valve with a standard ball valve? It's not clear to me what's left on the kettle when you remove this valve. Is there a standard 1/2" male NPT threading on to which you can attach a standard 1/2" female NPT ball valve?

Kal

True. That's a very valid point.

Kal

Valid? No... If he wants to take the high road, fine. But it's beyond me to respect a former employer who didn't respect you or understand the reason for bringing light to a safety concern to educate the public.

It is all about money. People who have NO REASON to profit off such a horrible product see it one way; those who profit, see it another way. And those who don't know any better are the ones who buy it and get injured.

I don't believe he, nor Blichmann deserve such consideration. I don't live in your area, but I'd boycott this guys LHBS if I did...

http://www.cpsc.gov needs to know about both of these products from Blichmann... The rims rocket and this new kettle.

Wow, never again will I support a horrible company. I cannot believe they got you fired because you're telling the truth.

The guy who blasted then over the rims rocket got a perm ban from this website over it. You should probably talk to a lawyer about wrongful termination.

How can a community like this support such a terrible company.

Whoa! I didn't get fired. Downsizing

The valves do show. John Blichmann shows this himself in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MQZdL6Gk4

For my electric setup where I only have the valves either open all the way or closed all the way, I'd still prefer a standard ball valve as it's faster to use and there's no chance of the valve popping off. So if I had to rebuild my system today and used the G2 kettles, I'd replace these valves with standard ball valves. YMMV. Everyone's system is different.

Speaking of which, has anyone confirmed that you can replace this valve with a standard ball valve? It's not clear to me what's left on the kettle when you remove this valve. Is there a standard 1/2" male NPT threading on to which you can attach a standard 1/2" female NPT ball valve?

Kal

From what I saw, it's a weld less bulkhead.

Back