Blending apple ciders pre vs post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckbrew

Reaction score
So with grapes you ferment separably and blend after. For apple cider it seems you usually press then blend the various juices to get the blend of acidity, tannin and sugar you want then ferment. Is there a reason for this?

I'm asking because I have wild apples sweating for 3 weeks that are ready to be pressed now. I have Northern Spy picked last week that could be pressed now but ideally in a week or two. Then I will be picking Golden Russet in 1-2 weeks and ideally would want to sweat 2-3 weeks before pressing.

So do I hold off pressing and just press them all together when Golden Russet is ready? Do I press each batch separably and try to find space to freeze the juice then mix and ferment later? Do I ferment single varietal as they are ready then blend in secondary?

First time using fresh pressed apples.

Great question. I think there is value in fermenting the varieties separately then blending post-fermentation. I haven't done it that way myself yet, but I intend to try it in future.

I've got enough from my own trees to give either a try. I'm going to run my "base-sweet" apples together. But my Cider apples (Wickson and Dabinette) I'm going to press and ferment separate for a blending experiment post ferment.

Base sweet-apples are Honeycrisp, Pixiecrunch, Sundance. I have Goldrush for a late season single variety.

People do both. Some press early, mid, and late season apples as they ripen and make varietal ciders that can be blended to create whatever profile they want.

Once you know your apples and how they typically respond to fermentation, I believe in pre-fermentation blending.

...But I've rarely had that luxury as a hobbyist. Thus post-fermentation is my specialty. It's controllable and the results are immediate.

Once you know your apples and how they typically respond to fermentation, I believe in pre-fermentation blending.

...But I've rarely had that luxury as a hobbyist. Thus post-fermentation is my specialty. It's controllable and the results are immediate.
I know this is possibly an old and long dead thread, but hoping mxilcox is still active in here. Since 'post-fermentation-blending' is your specialty -- could you elaborate a little on your method ? Scientific approach my measuring FGs and TA's and ABVs and blending to get a specific outcome? Or do you only go by taste? Or how do you go about this ?

Back