Blended Bottle Conditioning Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be blending two barrel aged sours soon, and I'm confused about some details when using the excel sheet referenced by Mike here: Priming Barrel-Aged and Blended Sour Beers | The Mad Fermentationist - Homebrewing Blog

I plan on bottling 5gal of of the base beer (a funky saison), as well as a 50/50 (2.5gal/2.5gal) blend of that and another sour. The calculator states for the 5gal of the base saison alone has:
0.43 Residual CO2, and 0.43 Predict CO2 w/o Sugar -> needing 7.75 oz table sugar to hit 3.2 vols

But when doing the 50/50 blend, the sheet states both components have 0.43 Residual CO2 and 1.71 Predict CO2 w/o Sugar together -> needing 4.18 oz table sugar to hit 3.2 vols

It seems from a practical aspect, blending two similar beers with the same residual CO2 should yield the same "Predict CO2 w/o sugar" as only one. Why does the "Predicted CO2 w/o sugar" more than quadruple when blending? I'd like to wrap my head around this and be able to trust this sheet, as it's the matter of a difference of 3.6 oz sugar and the potential to vastly undercarbonate a great beer.

Might anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited:
Back