Blackberry wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristofer

Reaction score
Finished and ready to bottle. I tasted the wine and it had good alcohol percent but flavoring was lacking and was on the dry side. I added one can of blackberry purée to approx 4 1/2 gal and let it sit now for approx 4 to 5 months. Tasted it yesterday and it is a very strong blackberry flavor almost to strong with no bite of alcohol at all. It is practically like blackberry juice. What can I do to make it taste more like WINE? Thanks for all input.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You add any sorbate? If not you can add some more sugar and yeast if necessary to boost the ABV , however this will require you to rack it a few more times before bottling but it seems like you're patient enough

Yes I did add sorbate. I did everything step by step up to the point before bottling. I did however add the purée after all other steps were done as a final attempt to back sweeten and improve flavor. So what do I do from this point?

What was the abv before you added the puree? How much and what (fresh/frozen blackberries, canned puree, concentrate) did you use for the original wine?

Original wine was fresh fruit in a mesh bag. Alcohol was approx 12 to 13%.

Yes I did add sorbate. I did everything step by step up to the point before bottling. I did however add the purée after all other steps were done as a final attempt to back sweeten and improve flavor. So what do I do from this point?

Not much you can do after stabilizing and adding the purée. Maybe age will improve it.

Wine does not need an alcohol burn to be wine. If it tastes good and has the alcohol amount you want that's all that matters.

Now for the taste you can age it and it should mellow out.

Or you can blend it. Make a new batch and let it run dry or buy some neutral tasting dry wine and start blending at different ratios till you get what you like.

If you still want the alcohol burn just spike it.

Actually, after a couple of calculations, my suggestion will not be volume dependent. Add a 750ml bottle of 80 proof vodka and let it sit for two months. This will bring the abv back up to around where it was before the puree addition.

Back