Blackberry ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

svenness

Reaction score
I have a year-old flander's red that is about to be bottled. After sampling it I think that it would go nicely with some blackberries, so I'm going to split it and fruit half of it. I see that Oregon Fruit doesn't can blackberries in water so I'm thinking i'll use frozen blackberries at 1.5lbs/gallon. Will this ratio produce a nice just above threshold blackberry flavor in a Flander's? Thanks!

I have two batches going with blackberries that I picked and froze myself. Both of them have about 1lb per gallon. Both are fairly light beers. I have never used blackberries before but Tonsmeire's book says .5-2lbs per gallon

not the latest, but the previous issue of Zymergy magazine has an article about fruiting sours and had a good table with various fruits & suggested quantities. if you're an AHA member then you can access it online.

I did 4 lbs in 2.5 gallons of Flemish Red. Wasn't really distinctly blackberry, but really improved the beer (acidity, deeper fruity-winey flavor). More recently did a sour stout on less than 1 lb/gallon, more a complexity at that level with a characterful malt bill.

I put 5lbs into 7 gallons and wish I had used 10 lbs, great color but cant really taste the blackberries

Back