Blackberry, raspberry, and bing cherry sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got 17.5 gallons (19 gal post boil volume, almost half gallon left in hoses after transfer to fermenter and approx. .75 gallon left in kettle with trub) of a co-pitch sour sitting in the fermenter. Zero hops were used on the hotside and it was brewed with 4lbs of lactose. Co pitched the yeast and lacto and it's fermenting away. I want to add blackberries, raspberries, and bing cherries to it, and it will see vanilla around the same time as well.

Anyone used this combo? What were your thoughts?

Raspberries are powerful stuff,every brew or mead, if it had any raspberries in it, that was all you could taste. I use them alone and their awesome. I find that you need to use at least 8 lbs of cherries to get good flavor. I have a 25 gal solara barrel with a lambic. we pull 3- 5 gal (in 6.5 gal carboys) carboys off with fruit a year. It takes the lambic about a year to get fruity and tart in the barrel then 6 mos to a year on the fruit.

I used 9lb of blackberries in 5 gallons for a sour recently. Wonderful color and I think added the right amount of flavor.

That's good info on those fruits.

So heavier on cherries to pull the flavor and lighter on raspberries due to potency.

We're going to buy some of each this weekend I think, puree them, and do a sampling of different ratios and see what combo we like. Was just curious what others thought of the combo.

Back