Black velvet?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjiefx

Reaction score
Hey everybody!!!

First topic I start here!:ban:

I just wanted to know if any of you ever had stout & Apfelwein "mixed" as a black velvet? Because I'm fermenting some of Ed's Apfelwein right now and my SWMBO (I'm passing way too much time reading this forum!:drunk: ) really loves Black Velvets. The one she prefers is made of McAuslan's stout and Mystic cider. It would surely be drank like juice but... I won't complain if she gets a little:drunk: . And I'll make sure she doesn't get passed her limit!

So... any of you guys tried that??? Any good?

thanks!

I've only done it with Murphy's Stout and Woodchuck cider, and it was called something else that I can't remember... it would probably be pretty good, just remember that the apfelwein is very dry. I've never had Mystic cider but if it's a sweet cider it'll be very different than one mixed w/ apfelwein

Yeah... I know this "drink" has about 1000 different names. But I usualy refer to it as the black velvet.

And, Yes, the mystic cider is carbed. I plan on carbing my apfelwein after the 4-5 weeks fermentation is done! I think I'm gonna had it a little of splenda too for a little sweeter taste. You guys know how much I should had?

I know it as a Snakebite, as per the local (or only) Irish pub (which isn't that good so take it for what it is worth). but they use woodchuck (on tap) and Guinness. not that great since I am not a huge fan of guinnness. If it turns out aright let us know I am surly interested.

Cheers

Actually I think Black Velvet is traditionally made with Champagne. Well according to wikipedia. I did some research on the drink after the local Mellow Mushroom(hmm pizza) offered it. They mixed Guinness and Woodchuck Cider. I just went to the store and bout a six-pack of each and mixed one bottle to one bottle. OMG That was good. I tried floating it, but its very hard even with a spoon. Just mix them it is very tasty.

Oh on a side note, NOT using Champagne/Wine is called a "Poorman's Black Velvet"

After seeing this post I went out to get some Woodchuck and Guinness and try it out. Initially I thought it tasted very good, but by the end of the glass I was kind of sick of it. I like cider and I like Guinness, but the only mixing of them I'll be doing is in my stomach.

Ok, so from one of the other threads that hit when I searched on "Black Velvet",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_and_tan per link thingy EdWort's ApfelWine + "a stout" = black and gold, not a black velvet.

So I am bumping this thread to ask which stouts you are using with EdWort's ApfelWine (carbed how high) to make black and blanks?

FWIW I carbed my first batch of Apfelwine up to 4 volumes and I am planning to pair it with a pretty sweet stout, more like Old Rasputin and less like BrewPastor's 080808...ask me again Autumn 2008.

Back