Black rubber coated keg for Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
Anybody ever done this? Does the rubber insulate well enough not to need any extra insulation?
I planed on making my MT out of a keg anyway, and have access to a rubber coated one. If you have done this, what kind of temps are you holding? I plan to use a HERMS coil built on the E-Brewery plans.

I'd be interested to know some details on this also! I have one that I was planning on converting at some point as well. I've heard of people doing it, but never really read anything about how well they hold temps, etc.
I would imagine sticking on some insulation would help even more though, but I do like the cleaner look of no insulation.

Decided to not go with the rubberized keg this time around. It would probably work, but I didn't want to mess with cutting through the rubber AND the Keg.

Nice, thanks for the good write-up and pics!

So, quoting you here...
"OK, yesterday I filled the tun with about 13gal of 180 degree water, put a lid on top, and took temperature readings every 10 minutes for an hour and a half. The results were not good. Ambient temp was 68, with gusty winds. There was an almost linear 3 degree drop at every reading"

You didn't by chance test it with an actual mash before you wrapped it with reflectix, did you? Just curious since I know temps are more stable when there's a grainbed in there rather than water alone.

Also, have you tested it with water alone after you wrapped it to see if it's any more stable?

I like the tri-clover setup also, I've subscribed to your thread so I can continue to watch your progress and see how it performs with the FB and bottom drain configuration you're using.

I can say one thing, I didn't think that the rubber on these things was so thick! That looks like almost 3/4" of rubber on the bottom of that thing!

Haven't re-tested it yet, I'm in the process of building My Barney Brewstand, and am working on the RIMS and pump placement.

I'm sure that the increased thermal mass of a real mash will help mitigate some of the thermal drop, but I had planned on using reflectix in either case.

Just changed over to a 2" butterfly valve. Couldn't find a 2" TC x 1/2" or 3/4" hose barb, so until I can fabricate one, I have to use a threaded TC.

TwoInchButterflyValve_720x960.png

I'd be interested to know some details on this also! I have one that I was planning on converting at some point as well. I've heard of people doing it, but never really read anything about how well they hold temps, etc.
I would imagine sticking on some insulation would help even more though, but I do like the cleaner look of no insulation.
Nice, thanks for the good write-up and pics!

So, quoting you here...
"OK, yesterday I filled the tun with about 13gal of 180 degree water, put a lid on top, and took temperature readings every 10 minutes for an hour and a half. The results were not good. Ambient temp was 68, with gusty winds. There was an almost linear 3 degree drop at every reading"

You didn't by chance test it with an actual mash before you wrapped it with reflectix, did you? Just curious since I know temps are more stable when there's a grainbed in there rather than water alone.

Also, have you tested it with water alone after you wrapped it to see if it's any more stable?

I like the tri-clover setup also, I've subscribed to your thread so I can continue to watch your progress and see how it performs with the FB and bottom drain configuration you're using.

I can say one thing, I didn't think that the rubber on these things was so thick! That looks like almost 3/4" of rubber on the bottom of that thing!
KrazyDave, I just acquired some kegs at a steal of a price and two of them are rubber. My question is, what is under the rubber? I wanted to use one as a mash tun and the other as a HLT or boil kettle if I could get all the rubber off. Thanks

KrazyDave, I just acquired some kegs at a steal of a price and two of them are rubber. My question is, what is under the rubber? I wanted to use one as a mash tun and the other as a HLT or boil kettle if I could get all the rubber off. Thanks

There is a typical stainless keg under all of that rubber. However, I doubt you ever get it all off of there.

This was some time ago, but I actually gave the one I had away to someone that wanted to use it as a fermenter/brite tank. I ended up sourcing some non-rubber ones and determine that this one wasn’t worth the amount of work required to convert it.

This is my MLT. It is bottom drain and it's pretty efficient. Our winters gets pretty cold and I brew in my barn so I wrap the tun in a foam camping pad and put a foam pad on top of the mash when I begin to mash. In the dead of winter I loose 1-degree in the course of the mash. I do 10-gal. brews so 20+ lbs. of grain fills the tun to about 2/3 full. I replaced a 10-gal. igloo with this tun. I didn't like using plastic.

Attachments

• 1541343331768.jpg
    1541343331768.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 1541343363300.jpg
    1541343363300.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 74
Back