Black Mocha Stout by Highland Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT2sum

Reaction score
5.5 gal recipe wanted for Highland Brewing's Black Mocha Stout.Hopefully someone will have a good clone for this reat stout!
MT2sum

@MT2sum I love that beer! I got a pony keg of it one year for my birthday in college. That was a great night!

Try looking in the recipes in BYO. They published several of the highland recipes last year. I know I got the recipe for Gaelic ale from there and something else. I'll look through my recipe book tomorrow and see what the other one was.

Cheers!

@MT2sum Yeah, I checked my notebook and I have the recipe sheet for Highland's Gaelic Ale and their Oatmeal Porter. Happy to share either. If you're interested let me know.

Cheers!

Edit: Don't know if you've seen it, but their website also lists all the ingredients for each of their beers. Gives you a place to start.
Screenshot_20210927-215224.png

Last edited:
Thanks Coastalbrew. I went thru Ashville the other day and intended to go to the Brewery for a tour. It's closed becuz of C-19, but the taproom is open. Weird ...... they have to close the tours, (where you could keep your distance), but can keep the taproom open (where everyone might be crammed into a room with no elbow room). These gov't regulations make no sense. Green Man Brewery was closed in the same way!
With the narrow streets, and busy traffic, I couldn't even find a space to park my van. Another time maybe ..... IF I ever get back to NC again.

I'll look for your recipes for the Gaelic Ale and Oatmeal Porter - I like both of them as well, but I guess I'll have to experiment with the stout till I get it right. Practice, practice, practice ..... and drink your misteaks!
Bierhundt

That's a bummer you couldn't do the brewery tour, but it gives you an excuse to make another trip, right!?

Highland is one if my favorite breweries. I've been enjoying their beers since they opened in the early 90's. I've never had one of their beers I didn't enjoy.

Both of the recipes are on BYO, but if you can't find them let me know and I'll pass on my recipe sheets.

Good luck on the mocha recipe, it sounds like a fun project!

Cheers!

Well. I went to BYO, but since I'm no longer a member (it was a choice between re-upping to BYO or signing on to AHA for 3 years. maybe next round I'll go back to BYO). They had the recipe.for Gaelic Ale, but it was only for members. I'd like those recipes, thanks. BTW, I may not be getting back to you for a week or two, since we are going to move again. Thanks, MT2sum

@MT2sum Hope the move goes well. Here are the recipe sheets for the Gaelic Ale and Oatmeal Porter. They are adjusted for my system, so if you are getting different efficiency or want a different batch size you can use the grain percentages and IBU's to adjust for your setup. Happy Brewing!

Cheers!

Attachments

• Highland Gaelic Ale 5 G.pdf
    62.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Highland Oatmeal Porter 5 G.pdf
    62.9 KB · Views: 26
Hi, Coastalbrewer;
Thanks for the recipes! Much appreciated. I just recently bought a Brewzilla so I will adjust the recipes to that. I have a Black Ale and a RIS in the schedule ahead of them, as well as a remodel of the home we are moving into, so it will be a bit down the road to brew them ..... in the meantime I will continue to look for a recipe of the Black Mocha Stout ;>). Thanks mucho for these recipes.!
MT2sum

No problem! If you find the black mocha recipe let me know, I'd love to give it a try.

Cheers!

Found this on beer connoisseur

Not sure if it helps but a great start

Description
Highland’s most robust beer, having a very malty body with a large, roasted chocolate flavor, all achieved solely through the use of special roasted barley grains. It is black in color with a very clean finish and moderate hop flavor.
While the porter style was developing, some brewers produced a stout porter and over time generated a new style known simply as stout. These beers traditionally contain a distinct roasted malt flavor and can run the gamut from a dry stout, such as Guinness to a sweet stout such as Watney’s Cream Stout. Highland's Black Mocha falls in the sweet stout range and derives its chocolate and coffee tones from the use of appropriate roasted malt grains and is very often used as an after dinner libation or an accompaniment to dessert

ABV:
5.3%
IBUs:
Served at:
48 - 50˚ F
Hops:
Chinook, Mount Hood
Malts:
Two-Row Brewers Malt, Munich, Roasted Barley, Caramel 40, Caramel 60, Chocolate, Extra Special Malt, Malted Wheat

@redarmy999
Found this on beer connoisseur

ABV:
5.3%
IBUs:
Served at:
48 - 50˚ F
Hops:
Chinook, Mount Hood
Malts:
Two-Row Brewers Malt, Munich, Roasted Barley, Caramel 40, Caramel 60, Chocolate, Extra Special Malt, Malted Wheat
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I noticed there's no coffee in it, which I expected there to be at least a bit ;>). I was in Asheville a few weeks ago, and had hoped to take the tour and maybe get a litle bit of inside info, but their tours were shut down due to Fauchi's Farce - instead you could go to the pub and spend all day drinking the Mocha Stout ........ NOT what I intended. Guess I'll have to experiment with it like I'm doing with Pig's Ass Porter from Montana. (The trouble with that scenario is that I've moved to Tennessee, and won't know when I've got an accurate clone of the Pig's Ass Porter :>(, but at least I can keep on keepin' on with the experiment ! )

Back