Black Belgian IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
After drinking westkust recently I really want to make my own westkust inspired beer. This is what I have penciled in for this coming weekend.

13lbs maris otter low colour
2Lb flaked rye
1lb D180 candi syrup
0.5lb weyerman abbey malt
0.5lb midnight wheat
0.25lb special B

1oz warrior 19%AA at 60min
8 oz equinox 45min hopstand @140
3 oz equinox dry hop on day 3
3 oz Eureka keg hop

IBU's should be about 50
SG should be 1.076

Mash at 148F

Pitch at 61F allow to free rise to a starting fermentation temperature of 63F, on day 2 start ramping up to 70F, when fermentation slows to a crawl ramp to 75F

FG should be 1.012

I'm considering adding a green chilli tincture at kegging based on tasting results.

Thoughts, suggestions.

Which yeast are you using? How do you know the hops are the right ones? Eureka! is pretty resiny. Equinox is fruity, but I think they would work fine.

Why would you ferment a Belgian beer so low? Belgian yeast works best - in terms of both fermentation and aroma/flavour/ester/phenolic profile - at higher temps. Think 68-74F, but of course depends on the yeast and the brewer's choice/taste. If you want surpressed esters, like some brewers want, then you do not want a Belgian beer, but an american one with spices?

IBU seems a bit low for a black ipa. Together the high og and heavy malt bill could make it taste more like a aroma hopped porter.

Never tasted Westkust, though. Just doesn't look like very ipa"ish".

Which yeast are you using? How do you know the hops are the right ones? Eureka! is pretty resiny. Equinox is fruity, but I think they would work fine.

Why would you ferment a Belgian beer so low? Belgian yeast works best - in terms of both fermentation and aroma/flavour/ester/phenolic profile - at higher temps. Think 68-74F, but of course depends on the yeast and the brewer's choice/taste. If you want surpressed esters, like some brewers want, then you do not want a Belgian beer, but an american one with spices?

Oops completely missed off the yeast. I will be using WLP530.

According to white labs, cooler temps for this strain promote phenols and spice which is what I want.

I tend to find you always get fruity ester no matter how you ferment with Belgian strains. I just want to avoid it tasting like a pear drop sweets.

I choose the hops based in who I think they will fit with the roasted character. Equinox it fruity yes, but also has green pepper character which I think will go really well with the roast and yeast spice. I am using Eureka for its aroma only, massive pine. I have never found it resiny mainly a light stone fruit flavor.

IBU seems a bit low for a black ipa. Together the high og and heavy malt bill could make it taste more like a aroma hopped porter.

Never tasted Westkust, though. Just doesn't look like very ipa"ish".
I use 50 ibus for all my IPA's and they come out fine, people commonly remark on the strong bitterness. But they could be my system and I may actually be getting better utilisation.

Hopefully the grain bill will be quite light, I use a similar one in saisions and it came out great.

Marris otter low colour is quite similar to lager malt, so it keeps the beer quite light.

Back