Black and white bottle caps from northern brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrathchild

Reaction score
I have bought all my bottle caps from Northern brewers and I've never had an issue till this last batch of caps. I just bottled 2 cases of an English brown ale and I had a cap that didn't seat right so I took it off and tried another. I can turn the caps by hand. I'm using the same bottle capper I've always used. Any one of these bottles, I can turn the cap with minimal force. I used a few on the last batch I did but not many and I noticed the beer was carbonated but as time goes on its turning more brown then the nice golden color it started out as. I also noticed after washing the caps and soaking them in star san, the plastic on the cap was very slimy and ive never felt that before on any of the other caps I've used. Just wondering if anyone used the black and white caps from Northern brewers and had a problem

Attachments

• IMG_20211208_180608.jpg
    IMG_20211208_180608.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Hmm, I just went there (NortherBrewer dot com) and looked for those caps and could not find them. They do have their own black logo cap but it's different than what you show. I have used their (Northern Brewer) plain colored caps before with out issue. You typed "Northern brewers" with a "s", is that the same place but just a typo? Just wondering,
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.
EDIT: this is the page I was looking at >>> Beer Bottle Caps & Closures

Hmm, I just went there (NortherBrewer dot com) and looked for those caps and could not find them. They do have their own black logo cap but it's different than what you show. I have used their (Northern Brewer) plain colored caps before with out issue. You typed "Northern brewers" with a "s", is that the same place but just a typo? Just wondering,
Joel B.
EDIT: this is the page I was looking at >>> Beer Bottle Caps & Closures
I messed up. Went through my orders and the caps came from Amazon. Thats my fault but I found this in the description that I failed to read

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211208-200308_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20211208-200308_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    303.3 KB · Views: 28
Ahh, OK. Shame that those caps screwed up your bottling. That suxx. I have read about not getting Oxy absorbing caps wet until you use them. What I do when bottling is get all my ducks in a row. Toss 6-8 caps in a tub/dish of Starsan, fill the same amount of bottles and then cap with those caps. Repeat as needed. It really doesn't add much if any time in my eyes.
Joel B.

Ahh, OK. Shame that those caps screwed up your bottling. That suxx. I have read about not getting Oxy absorbing caps wet until you use them. What I do when bottling is get all my ducks in a row. Toss 6-8 caps in a tub/dish of Starsan, fill the same amount of bottles and then cap with those caps. Repeat as needed. It really doesn't add much if any time in my eyes.
Joel B.
Yeah man, I do them by the dozen but I've always had the caps rinsed and soaking in star san. This is just another case of me not reading the description. I have a habit of not reading the fine print and ordering what I thought was right and it turns out wrong. You'd think I'd learn by now! Those caps got real slimy in the star san and now I know. I might pop all of them and re cap tonight. I dont think its too late yet, do you? It won't even be 24 hours. I have plenty more black and white caps

I'd recap them if you have different regular caps, I don't think I would trust those caps if you have found loose ones. The whole slimy situation puts me off altogether too, I have never noticed that with any caps I have ever used.
Time wise I think you are good, I'd get them swapped out ASAP.
I hope it all works out,
Joel B.

Back