Black and Tan's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCHDNSD

Reaction score
So you can go with Guinness and Bass / Harp for your Black and Tan right? What homebrews would go well together and have the same layered effect? I would like to brew a couple of beers to do this with. Would an APA and a Hefeweizen work well togehter? Are the gravity's to close? How about a porter and ????

Any ideas out there?

TCHDNSD said:
Would an APA and a Hefeweizen work well togehter?

That's Blasphemy for a Bavarian Hefe!

Go with a Stout or Porter and an English Pale Ale for a Black & Tan.

I'm going to try and make a black and tan of my Porter and Old Speckled Hen, however they didn't taste very good when I tried them together last.... Maybe my Nut Brown and Porter though then it'd be a Black and Brown (which is actually (Guiness and Root Beer, pretty good actually)...

Dunno something about Guiness being the black gives it it's character, i'd say a stout or roasted flavor porter should be the black. The tan has to have some other type of character that contrasts but not entirely like Ed said, an English Pale for the tan.

What is this black and tan thing? I've never heard of it over here (ireland), over here the term black and tan has historical references but naff all to do with beer, is this an american thing??

A american pale ale and a hefeweizen are both light beers, so you'd be making a tan and tan. You need a dark and a light beer. A stout/porter and a pale ale/bitter.

Evan! said:
A american pale ale and a hefeweizen are both light beers, so you'd be making a tan and tan. You need a dark and a light beer. A stout/porter and a pale ale/bitter.

True. But my APA's are pretty dark. Which kinda makes 'em amber or so.
My most recent looks like, well I can't think of what it looks like but it's pretty dark.

Correct me if Im wrong but its the nitrogen content of the guiness that creates the separation effect in black and tans. Unless your using N2O to push your stout you wont get the same effect, rather the beers will just mix randomly.

gonzoflick said:
Correct me if Im wrong but its the nitrogen content of the guiness that creates the separation effect in black and tans. Unless your using N2O to push your stout you wont get the same effect, rather the beers will just mix randomly.

100% correct. To get the visual cool factor you need a nitro and CO2 system. If you are not after the layered look, and going purly for a mix, this is not needed. Also, you need a way to soften the nitro beer in the pour using a spoon or the turtle that most HBS sell.

Ryan_PA said:
100% correct. To get the visual cool factor you need a nitro and CO2 system. If you are not after the layered look, and going purly for a mix, this is not needed. Also, you need a way to soften the nitro beer in the pour using a spoon or the turtle that most HBS sell.

Not true. It is all in the spoon. I do not have a nitro set up for stouts. When I have a stout and pale ale on tap I often do a black and tan with the same layered effect as a pub would create.

I just cannot see how you would get a perfect line of separation when not using N2O. Even with a spoon and practice the line must be blurred

boldone said:
Not true. It is all in the spoon. I do not have a nitro set up for stouts. When I have a stout and pale ale on tap I often do a black and tan with the same layered effect as a pub would create.

Better man than me then. Without nitro, and with a ton of tries with a spoon, I was unable to create the layered effect with any real line of distinction. However, with nitro it is a fairly easy thing to do.

Locally a company called Sweetwater makes a Blueberry infused Ale (Sweetwater Blue) and a Porter (Sweetwater Exodus Porter). I like mixing them, we call it the Black and Blue.

Well, I will admit it is not a perfect line, but the stout definitely sets on top of the pale ale. The stout will "tail" down into the PA a bit around the sides of the pint. That being said I will retract my statement saying it is all in the spoon and change it to a combo of the spoon and nitro if you are going for a perfect line of separation.

From what I understand the nitrogen makes it a bit easier to obtain sepperation, but another factor contributing to the sepperation is the differing specific gravity.

In Northern Michigan we have created a drink called an Eclipse. This is a Bell's Oberon (a summer wheat beer) and Guinness. The Oberon gives the drink a slightly sweet flavor insead of a bitterish from a pale ale. Oberon is only produced for the summer months so this contributes to the specialness of this beverage. Just thought I would throw that in to spur further debate.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back