"Black Ale"??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cladinshadows

Reaction score
I want to make some kind of "black ale". A very hoppy, very malty/toasty beer but not really an RIS because I want to minimize the roasted/acrid and dark chocolate flavors. Is there a style category for this? Has anyone else made such a beast? Here's the recipe I've started getting excited about...Let me know what you think... or if you don't have any input you could always just make fun of my efficiency!

BlackAleRecipe.JPG

Using chocolate malt will give you a roasty flavor and probably won't be dark enough to be a "black ale" with only 0.5 lbs. I would replace it with de-husked Carafa II...that will give you a ton of color with very little flavor. I'd probably increase the amount, as well, to ensure your ale is truly black.

Grind the Carafa II (I'd go with 12-14 oz) to dust, keep it separate and then sprinkle it on top of your mash.

I'd love to make fun of your efficiency, but I've got fried chicken sitting in front of me right now and I think it's time to get my fingers dirty.

... but I've got fried chicken sitting in front of me right now ...

Hmmmmmm .... how about a beer spiced with THE COLONIAL'S 11 SECRET HERBS AND SPICES.

Here's a list of the spices I found:

* 2 tablespoons paprika
* 1 tablespoon onion salt
* 1 teaspoon celery salt
* 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1 teaspoon ground oregano
* 1 teaspoon chili powder
* 1 teaspoon black pepper
* 1 teaspoon basil leaves, crushed
* 1 teaspoon marjoram leaves, crushed finely

WHO'S WITH ME???

check out stones 11th anniversary clone. sounds very similar to what you're looking to make. There are some threads about it if you search.

I would replace it with de-husked Carafa II...that will give you a ton of color with very little flavor. I'd probably increase the amount, as well, to ensure your ale is truly black.

That could be a really cool idea... have a hugely hoppy IPA that's pitch black but still nice and dry... maybe I'll add that to my list of projects... but,

I should clarify what I'm trying to do. It doesn't need to be black, and really the color doesn't matter to me at all (as you can see, right now it's sitting at 34 SRM). It's more that I want to make a highly hopped IPA, and then provide a huge malt presence to back it up.

This makes it sort of similar to a RIS, but I don't want the Roasted flavor of a RIS, I want more of a Toasted flavor. Hence all of the munich and victory instead of roasted barley, etc.

Thanks for all of your input.

Back