BK upgrade advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berchabar

Reaction score
Looking to upgrade my BK to a 10gal pot. Is there a problem with getting an aluminum pot? I have a SS one now.

Lots of folks use aluminum kettles, just need to treat them like aluminum kettles: grow a nice oxidized coating, don't scratch it up in use or scour it off when cleaning, definitely don't used caustics, and you're good to brew...

Cheers!

Numerous ways, including oven baking - if the kettle actually fit inside.
The method most use is to simply fill the kettle with water and boil it for 30 minutes or so until it's "done".
You'll know when the oxide layer forms as it will be much darker than the outside of the kettle.
The longer you boil it the deeper the color and presumably the thicker the oxide layer...

Cheers!

Aluminum is fine. I find it less forgiving in terms of cleaning in that if you let it soak too long or don't clean up for a day or so for whatever reason the oxide layer can need redoing.

Bayou classics 44 quart stainless pot is regularly on sale for $65-75 and is a good economy pot.

Back