BK insulation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNatural

The Original, beware of imposters.
Reaction score
Saw a couple of threads where folks were doing it. Any pros/cons?
Taking keggles to welder and stopping by fastener/industrial surplus place on the way.
They have a 3/4" closed cell foam sheet that I picked up for MLT. Wondering if I should get another for BK?

Thanks

I had a jacket of reflectix on my kettle at one point. I'm sure it helps prevent some heat loss and makes the system more energy efficient, but after having a couple of boilovers and having to clean wort off the insulation, I decided to remove the jacket.

I have a few bits of reflectix that I wrap around the BK and secure with a bit of rope. A lid helps on the heat up too. I don't have much choice but to insulate because the element in my BK is only 3 kW. For fixed insulation I would probably use high temperature polyurethane foam and cover it over with something.

Was running late going to welder buddy and didn't make it by the supply place.

Will probably pick another sheet up this weekend, just because it is "surplus" and not something normally stocked. If it doesn't work for BK, I can make several corny koozies out of it.

Good idea on the lid. Hadn't occurred to me to just put lid from MLT on it for faster boil.:smack:

Can I ask what the foam is made of? AFAIK polyethylene and PVC foam are not recommended for boil temperatures, and polyurethane soaks up water. The best stuff I have found is HT/armaflex (EPDM foam) but I don't know where to get sheets of it. Neoprene/EPDM foam also sounds good.

Absolutely no idea what it is made of, no data sheet, just a stack on the floor. Seems to be hydrophobic though, and feels very similar to some closed cell camping mats. Might be pvc, more stiff than mushy.
It is cheap, $13 for 60"x30", and I'm pretty comfortable with MLT application. Heck, probably hit 170°F just by sitting it in the sun.
Might have to break out the hair dryer and infrared thermometer and see what temperature it starts acting strange.

The more I think about it, I'm liking the corny koozie thing for that price too. Would yield 3/sheet with 1" freeboard at the top.
crappy phone pic attached.

2013-03-14 08.01.20.jpg

I'm sure it's fine for the MLT. I have some of those camping mats, I never thought about that. The Neoprene/EPDM is terrifically expensive. I suppose I could use the reflectix underneath and a blanket of cheap foam on top.

Like what Walker said it's just something else to clean. In my keggle setup I found it totally unnecessary.

I'm sure it's fine for the MLT. I have some of those camping mats, I never thought about that. The Neoprene/EPDM is terrifically expensive. I suppose I could use the reflectix underneath and a blanket of cheap foam on top.
NOW I know what the stuff reminds me of. Rearranging garage and stumbled on foam pipe insulation - feels/looks exactly the same - polyethylene. Looks like it is rated to 180°F.

Like what Walker said it's just something else to clean. In my keggle setup I found it totally unnecessary.

I hate unnecessary stuff, plus I'm lazy as hell. Probably will end up snagging more - and store it with rest of stuff I never finished.:mug:

2013-03-14 12.39.51.jpg

I wrapped with reflectix, a layer of duct tape to push down wrinkles, then coated with mastic to cover tape seams. Then painted with latex enamel for the color I wanted.

image-3312090435.jpg

Back