BJCP - Where is the Imperial IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sablesurfer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was trying to set up a recipe for a Heady Topper inspired (No apollo at my HBS.) and there appears to be no category for IIPA anymore?

The only thing I am finding is 22A Double IPA. I guess that is close, but is it accurate under the new guidelines?

I am guessing it is a bigger bucket to cover everything because this is what they list:

Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.065 – 1.085
IBUs: 60 – 120
FG: 1.008 – 1.018
SRM: 6 – 14
ABV: 7.5 – 10.0%
Commercial Examples:
Avery Maharaja, Fat Heads Hop Juju, Firestone Walker Double Jack, Port Brewing Hop 15, Russian River Pliny the Elder, Stone Ruination IPA, Three Floyds Dreadnaught

It's just semantics. They are the same although the new guidelines provide for more variations.

I had some idea that a double was a little smaller than an imperial...at least based on the advertising. <shrug>

I've always kind of seen "Imperial IPA" as "Double IPA," but sometimes also usable for "Triple IPA." I prefer the IPA, Double IPA, Triple IPA nomenclature for specificity... and I just like the way it sounds better. After all, Russian Imperial Stout has a reason for the name. Imperial IPA doesn't really. The US isn't exactly an "Empire."

IIPA
Double-I PA
Double IPA

Also, I had a beer that was LITRALLY all ingredients doubled. It was nasty.

I turned one of my Double IPAs into a Triple IPA, but I left the hops pretty much the same (just more dry hopping, but the same bittering, flavor, aroma, and flameout additions) since it was so excessive and only increased the base malt enough to kick it up to 9.9% ABV. Left some more of the maltiness by using a mix of Californian and English yeasts.

On the other hand, I can just imagine how horrible it'd be if I'd doubled the malt, doubled the hops, doubled the adjunct (corn sugar), and so on. Probably would have been like 15% ABV (or it'd die out before that and be absurdly malty), a theoretical 500 IBUs, and just overall the kind of beer that would make you feel ill. :fro:

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

Latest posts

Back