BJCP style help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I want to send a few brews out to a competition, but two if them fall into the same category I think.

I have a Fat Tire clone 10B & I also have a Canadian Ale 10B again I think. And I have a Nut Brown 10C
Do you think the Canadian Ale could go as a Lawnmower Beer or EIS Anything?

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

10A. American Pale Ale
10B. American Amber Ale
10C. American Brown Ale

Without actually sampling the beer, it's about impossible to say what category it may do well in. I don't know what you mean by Lawnmower or EIS Anything when it comes to BJCP catefories, though.

TL

SuperiorBrew said:
I want to send a few brews out to a competition, but two if them fall into the same category I think.

I have a Fat Tire clone 10B & I also have a Canadian Ale 10B again I think. And I have a Nut Brown 10C
Do you think the Canadian Ale could go as a Lawnmower Beer or EIS Anything?

http://www.bjcp.org/styles04/

10A. American Pale Ale
10B. American Amber Ale
10C. American Brown Ale

So, doubles your chance of winning the category:). Is there any rules that say you can't have multiple entries in a single category.
I've also read where you can enter the same beer in multiple categories if it crosses boundaries. Costs you extra in fees but might be a safer bet if you are unsure.
Craig

TexLaw said:
Without actually sampling the beer, it's about impossible to say what category it may do well in. I don't know what you mean by Lawnmower or EIS Anything when it comes to BJCP catefories, though.

Those are probably special categories specific to the competition he's planning to enter.

While I don't recall which one offhand, one competition that I looked at had a category EIS-anything, into which you could enter an eis-version of any BJCP style (eisbock, eisweizen, eisbarleywine, etc.) To the OP: we can't really tell you whether an eis-version of your beer would be worth entering in a competition; you'd have to do the freeze-concentration and see how it turns out.

As for "Lawnmower Beer", I don't know the exact guidelines for the category, but in general parlance it would generally mean a light, refreshing beer that would be perfect for drinking while you mow the lawn on a hot summer day. In my opinion, a beer that would do well in 10B would probably be a bit too heavy to enter in this category.

CBBaron said:
So, doubles your chance of winning the category:). Is there any rules that say you can't have multiple entries in a single category.
I've also read where you can enter the same beer in multiple categories if it crosses boundaries. Costs you extra in fees but might be a safer bet if you are unsure.
Craig

Every competition I know puts some limit on the number of entries you can put into a a category, but you usually get to put at least two into a medal category. I know of one that allows two entries per subcategory.

Yep, you certainly can enter the same beer in more than one category, if you want to pay the fee.

I agree that an American Amber probably would be too heavy for a "lawnmower beer," but if it's more along the lines of a Canadian ale, it might be worth a shot.

TL

It is one entry per category

I ended up putting it in 6A Cream Ale. It might have slighty too much hops but its fairly close.

Back