BJCP Style/Entry Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VTBrewer

Reaction score
I have what I would call an American Pale Wheat Ale that is brewed with honey.

4lbs American Pale
4lbs American Wheat
.66 Crystal 10
.5 Torrified wheat

1 oz of hallertauer at 60
.5 of mount hood at 30 and 5.

3 pounds honey at 5

WYEAST wit 3944.

Does the 3944 yeast make it a Belgian Wit, or could this be an American Pale Ale

Could go either way. Take a close look at the Style Guide and decide which matches the flavor/color/aroma the best. BJCP judges are style-nazis, that's why they get the big bucks.

If the honey comes through at all, you might be stuck with Specialty ales.

Honestly I wouldn't put it in either category. The beer will be too high a gravity for a witbeer and the Belgian yeast will blow it out of the American pale ale listing. Possibly Belgian Strong Ale but Specialty beer is probably the best choice.

Thanks all. The 7.2 abv is probably going to send it to Specialty beer. Been brewing (what i think) are good beers for a while, but this is my first entry into a competition. Entering 4 brews, just trying to make sure I get them at the very least into the judging.

Looks like an Imperial IPA, Specialty, Fruit Beer, and Belgian Tripel. Good times.

(competition is http://www.bfd.org/NERHBC/ for anybody looking for an early October entry, late October judging)

Back