BJCP category for Rye Weizenbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PVH

Reaction score
For those who enter BJCP-sanctioned competitions - what category do you think is appropriate for my Weizenbock with noticeable rye flavor (20% of the grist)? It's possible that some could miss the rye and think the spiciness is yeast-derived, but I think the astringency and characteristic rye "bite" is obvious. It's way out of whack for a Roggenbier, being not rye enough and way too big on the malt-derived melanoidins.

So I'm thinking it's a 23 Specialty Beer. What do you think?

I'll echo porter. Make sure you're very specific on your entry description because this is all the judges will have to judge your entry on. If you have some spare cash consider entering it as a roggenbier as well. Entries that are on the bigger side tend to score well in most categories.

I'm wondering what to do with a Dunkelroggenbier.

48% rye malt
24% Belg. pilsner
24% Munich
4% Chocolate Malt

1.049 OG, 21 IBU, 20 SRM. Fermented with WLP300.

Will it fit in Roggenbier, or should I go Cat 23?

Thanks guys. I think just saying it's a 15C with rye should do it. What about indicating the percentage of rye used or the intended intensity of the rye?

I personally wouldn't do that. Everyone has differing levels of perception. If you say moderate and they perceive it to be low then you'll be dinged.

48% rye malt
24% Belg. pilsner
24% Munich
4% Chocolate Malt

Sounds like it would be a Roggenbier to me. The only thing really 'different' (if you can really say that) is the use of chocolate malt. Unless that 4% chocolate malt really overrides the flavor of the beer, it's really just a dark roggenbier.

Thanks guys. I think just saying it's a 15C with rye should do it. What about indicating the percentage of rye used or the intended intensity of the rye?
As far as I know, 15C doesn't give you that option. There's not that much flexibility in a Weizenbock. It's not like an American Wheat (6D) were you have the choice to specify wheat or rye.

edit:
Oops! Should learn to read better. You mean 23 with 15C as a base. :eek:

48% rye malt
24% Belg. pilsner
24% Munich
4% Chocolate Malt

I've only tasted the one roggenbier available in the US. I was expecting it to be more banana/clove hefe-like, but it was deep brown in color with a very subdued hefeweizen yeast character. It was quite minerally as well. I really enjoyed it. Your recipe looks like a roggenbier, on the darker side, but close enough no one really would notice.

Back